I have an 11 year old Tempstar 2 ton gas / electric package unit, which provides heat and ac to the downstairs of our house (1,500 sq downstairs). It has a leak in the condenser and cracks in the converter. I will be replacing it in the near future, but want to know if I can hold off till spring.

I was told the cracks in the converter let carbon monoxide escape. One technician said that since the unit is outside, there is no risk to carbon monoxide poisoning in the house. Another said that it could get into the house and it should be replaced immediately.

Any clarification that you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks, Ken