Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tried the new Rheem out this morning

well it was 40 degs here this am so I tried the new furnace. I was impressed that the temp of the air coming out of the register was as hot as it was. Everyone told me it would be much cooler than my old oil furnace. It seems hotter !

I checked it with a digital thermometer in the reg and it was 130 degs . Now this was with the furnace in second stage because the t-stat said the room temp was 64 and I set it at 70.

Seems to have performed great now lets see when it is below zero out

DELTA T

THIS MEANS YOU HAVE A 66 DEGREE TEMP DIFFERENCE OR(DELTA T) IF YOU LOOK INSIDE YOUR FURNACE AT THE DATA PLATE IT WILL TELL YOU WHAT THE TEMP DIFFERENCE SHOULD BE, THAT WILL TELL YOU IF THE FURNACE IS OPERATING PROPERLY

Hotter is not better; the greater the temperature rise is, the less efficiently the heat exchanger can transfer heat from the combustion gasses to the indoor air. Life span can also be reduced.

66F is probably on the high end of the specified range - check the dataplate.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

ok plate says hi fire 40-70f low fire 30-60 does this make sense ?? It was in the hi fire mode and the temp was taken at the register right above the furnace in the living area.

Is this ok or do i need to call them back and have it adjusted ????

Quote Originally Posted by cvcman View Post
    ok plate says hi fire 40-70f low fire 30-60 does this make sense ?? It was in the hi fire mode and the temp was taken at the register right above the furnace in the living area.

Is this ok or do i need to call them back and have it adjusted ????
    The 66 DEGREE Temp split is between 40-70, so your ok. Just means air flow is slightly low. Depending on the blower, you may be able to increase the speed, but you may get a noisy unit.

Let it go awhile. Should be OK. If you have to call them out for another reason, you can mention that you read that the blower may be able to be speeded up in heating speed. (Maybe not)

hope the filter dont get dirty, also with a high temp rise it tends to dry out the house more

It has the thicker 4" filter in it. I had the register in the basement closed would it help to open that reg ??

I wouldn't mind it drying the house out some as it tends to be kinda humid in the winter anyway not real bad though.

Is there a way they can change that temp rise easy ?? I know the fan was running at hi speed because when it only needs to go up like one deg in temp the fan is slower.

If left at this temp rise would it do harm or really cu my efficiency ?? If so shouldnt I call them ??

If the fan is already in hi that probably cant be chgd then right ??

depends on the system. could be variable speed in which case cfm can be adjusted or you may have three or four speed taps. high speed is usually reserved for cooling

its a rheem RGRL I believe it is a 2 stage 2 speed blower ??? Where is twilli when I need him

Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    hope the filter dont get dirty, also with a high temp rise it tends to dry out the house more
    Temp rise has no effect on the humidity.

Same amount of moisture in the air(grains per pound of air), at 40° rise, as at 70° rise.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Temp rise has no effect on the humidity.

Same amount of moisture in the air(grains per pound of air), at 40° rise, as at 70° rise.
    Open the basement return, it will help to lower temp rise, to a safer level.
    Contractor locator map

I know this is stupid but the return is the hot air run correct ?? There is no cold air run in the basement just a hot air ??

There are lots of cold air returns up stairs though

Return is the air drawn into the furnace.
    In heat mode, its the cold air.

I'd still open the supply in the basement. It will help lower the temp rise, by lowering your supply static.
    Contractor locator map

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast