GOODMAN GMH95 VS. TRANE XV90
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post GOODMAN GMH95 VS. TRANE XV90

ok my 1973 International HVAC (weil-mccain) forced air unit is still working but I don't want to push it with winter on my back door:

Talked with a few contractors and it has come down to either a GOODMAN GMH95 or TRANE XV90. I understand that up until Goodman bought out Amana they had a bad name(Janitrol)...and have improved their quality thanks to the Amana part bin. The Trane goes for a few hundred bucks more but when it comes to replacing parts down the road its going to be easier to find parts and affordably for the goodman from what I've heard (contractors and parts counter people). I understand that the warranty is better on the goodman..but labor isn't covered. Has anyone recently installed a GOODMAN GMV950704CX or TRANE TUH2B080A9V3VA IN 2007-08....good, bad, or ugly experience.

Both are good, not all Janitrol were junk ,still a few out there working fine.

Go with the contractor that you feel most comfortable with. Also have them check your ductwork to see if it is up to snuff to handle the higher airflow of a new furnace.

No need to rush too fast as long as winter is not here yet, maybe get some more bids.

Goodman/Janitrol/Amana get a bad rap a lot of times. Some of it deserved and some really not any worse than anybody else. They have actually made decent gas furnaces through the years, most of their problems have been in other areas. I prefer Trane, but that is my opinion. I can tell you the idiosyncracies of almost all brands of equipment, minus the off brand stuff. I have a reason not to like every brand. The big 4 (Carrier,Lennox, Trane,Rheem) and their little brother (Goodman) actually all make decent furnaces.

FWIW, TUH2B080A9V3VA is an XV95 (not XV90), just had one installed a week ago so have very little experience, but I must admit with VS blower it sure runs quiet. Only ran it once in heat for 30 minutes. As to the XV90, my contractor (as did another) said to go with XV95 as it was standard stock at the distributor and XV90 was most likely special order. In my case it was a couple hundred more.

Quote Originally Posted by wraujr View Post
    FWIW, TUH2B080A9V3VA is an XV95 (not XV90), just had one installed a week ago so have very little experience, but I must admit with VS blower it sure runs quiet. Only ran it once in heat for 30 minutes. As to the XV90, my contractor (as did another) said to go with XV95 as it was standard stock at the distributor and XV90 was most likely special order. In my case it was a couple hundred more.
    Where do you live that you are running the heater? I need to move there. We've been near or above 100 for friggin 4 months. It's time for winter. Too damned hot and I need a break.

Just Checking Out New Unit

Brand new install, just wanted to make sure it worked so I ran AC down to 72 and then heat to 76, or was it until wife realized heat was coming out the vents ...

The GMH is a 2 stage furnace that can't be controlled by a 2 stage thermostat, it is a standard blower.

The XV95 is a great 2 stage 60%/100% that should be on a nice 2 stage stat like a Vision Pro IAQ. It has a variable speed blower for extra energy efficiency and comfort. The IAQ will also control said variable speed blower for dehumidification too.

The GMV would be more competition to the Trane is it can be on a 2 stage stat, have VS blower and dehumidification capability.

Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    Where do you live that you are running the heater? I need to move there. We've been near or above 100 for friggin 4 months. It's time for winter. Too damned hot and I need a break.
    We just had 39˚ the other morning here where could run the furnace, but the house only got down to 65˚, not a big deal for me.

Joe,
    As bald pointed out, If the Trane was a little bit more than the Goodman, I'd go for the Trane, and be sure to get a good two stage stat like the IAQ to get a good humidity control in the summer.

Confused GOODMAN GMH95 VS. TRANE XV95 ::IQA THERMOSTAT DUPLICATION THE TRANE BRAIN WORK ??

Thanks to everyone who replied to my questions...I feel better with the trane but the replies concerning the thermostat got me thinking...more research to do. But here is another issue that ties into that IAQ thermostat...I have a bypass humidfier (general aire - installed on the return) which does a good job adding 5-10% humidity....would it make sense to spend the extra $$ on the IAQ with this type of humidification ? Should the variable fan on the trane be able to cycle up and down the speed in conjunction witht he bypass..to be effectively controlled by this honeywell IAQ ? Also curious if I am adding more complication to the system with the IAQ..since the trane brain is suppose to adjust the fan speed according to back pressure. I understand that at some point I would like to adjust it to my tastes...but these var. fans are running longer to circulate the air compared to my old unit so I'm a little hesitant and ignorant about a smart thermostat.

The IAQ can control the humidifier itself, and if you have an outdoor sensor, it can adjust the humidity as needed with the out doors temps.

In humidifier(heating) mode, the blower speed does not change, just in the a/c mode to control the blower speed to get a better humidity removal in the summer.

This is what the IAQ can do for your furnace.

-2 stage of heat as needed.
    -Control your humidifier
    -Slow down blower in the summer for humidity removal.

Having the t-stat control stage of heat is better than using the timer on the board.

Comfort-R slowly ramps up the blower, it don't know what the humidity is in the summer, and after 8 minutes, the blower is running full speed. IAQ will keep the blower at 80% speed unitll the humidity is below set point.

I have it on my system, and been pleased with it.

have your dealers show you their products in action. You'll go Trane then.
    It's worth the extra. You cannot bid a Trane with a Goodman, it won't happen Trane is more expensive. Goodman has come quite a ways with their equipment but they still have a ways to go in my opinion.

This gets to be so repetetive. If you've got the right installation company, why are you asking here? Here's something to help you decide if you've got a good installation company. Enjoy.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Hell, I install Goodman exclusively and this is apples to oranges....That Goodman unit doesn't have a variable speed blower....go with the variable speed blower!!

Oh and really if you have a crappy company install that Trane....it will never perform as well as any other brand that is put in properly....buy your installing company....not the brand name of equipment
    I need a new signature.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast