Replace Parts, or Buy a whole new unit?

Thanks for all your help! I will definitely have it moved when the new one gets installed this winter, so I don't have a repeat performance!
    Last edited by jcmandmo; 09-10-2008 at 05:27 PM. Reason: clicked wrong button - same question as before

at around 10 yrs its not worth putting a whole lot of money into it. your still gonna have a 10 yr old compresor and evap coil id I'd replace the whole thing

I think you can change it now at your conveniece or wait untill it corrodes through and have no cooling for ever how long it takes to shop and buy a new one.

You should buy a new one.NOW

Well, if it were my unit, I'd just swap out coils for free with an equally sized scrapped unit.

Unfortunately, not being a technician, you don't have that option, and a contractor would probably charge you so much to change the coil that it wouldn't be worth it.

On the other hand, if you had a buddy that was an HVAC tech, you could probably get it done fairly cheaply.

Hence my suggestion: make friends with a heating and air guy.

See if they can move it at the same time, the same thing will happen again, if you don't get that out of the area. The new one may not last as long as the last one.

Thanks for all your insight. It seems to make sense to just buy a whole new unit. And yes, I'll definitely have it moved so I don't have a repeat!