Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonicview View Post
    Ok first off..what kind of thermostat do you have? you stated that there was no mention of a lockout set point on your stat... some stats have hidden programming built in and are accessed by holding several buttons down for several seconds... anyway, the stat should have been programmed by your installer which would have included a lockout point for your HP compressor or if you have a zoned system that uses a zone board the lockout point could be set there. either way you would need an outdoor air sensor for this feature, so you can trace the wire back to see where it is going. Your compressor is also locked out if you ever put your stat in emergency heat mode. The reason for a lockout is that you never want to have both primary and auxilliary heating running at the same time. But you want your efficient HP to work for as long as you can get it to run efficiently ...right around 30° is where I find it not to put out enough heat for it to run any longer so you turn it off or "lockout" the HP and go to auxilliary oil/propane/electric/ etc. but When the outdoor temperature is between the two temperatures, both the Compressor and Auxiliary Heat operate with some stat models.

You also asked about recovery time.. again what kind of thermostat are you using? Recovery is displayed when the heating or cooling system is activated before a set point For example: Set the Wake time to 6 am, and the temperature to 70°. The heat will come on before 6 am, so the temperature
    is 70° by the time you wake at 6. The message “Recovery” is displayed when the system is activated before a scheduled time period.
    ?????
    I'm lost, I've gone to look for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by chlosum View Post
    seems to me that if you have enough knowledge and exp. to rig your own fossil kit that you could get a new boss...
    What you say may be true if I were rigging them CORRECTLY. I just rig them to do more or less what I said in my last post.

But if I were my own boss, I'd probably just put the coils in the return like they do with electric furnaces. Hell, most heat exchangers have 20 yr/ lifetime warranties, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ECIndHVAC View Post
    What you say may be true if I were rigging them CORRECTLY. I just rig them to do more or less what I said in my last post.

But if I were my own boss, I'd probably just put the coils in the return like they do with electric furnaces. Hell, most heat exchangers have 20 yr/ lifetime warranties, anyway.
    Having the coil before the heat exchanger would void the HX warranty.

They would know something was not right about the install, by the condensate rusting the HX from the inside out.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

actually installing the coil in R/A of gas furnace voids warranty on the brands that i am familiar with.

if you are installing systems professionally the customer is buying the materials and equipment needed to operate correctly, it is our job as contractors to provide them with the correct ones.

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    They would know something was not right about the install, by the condensate rusting the HX from the inside out.
    The trick here is to be on good terms with your supply house.

Quote Originally Posted by chlosum View Post
    if you are installing systems professionally the customer is buying the materials and equipment needed to operate correctly, it is our job as contractors to provide them with the correct ones.
    What school book did you quote this from? We all cut corners every now and again. Otherwise we starve.

It really has nothing to do with being on good terms with your supply house to warranty a rusted out heat exchanger rather than spend a few $$$ to do things correctly. How about the liability involved with a rusted out heat exchanger endangering somebody's life much less the moral obligation to your customer with the trust they put in you to do things correctly and not endanger them or their family. You can ad on criminal charges if you knowingly do something that could possibly hurt somebody so you can save a few $$$.

What school book did you quote this from? We all cut corners every now and again. Otherwise we starve.
    school book? I don't think so... ethics, yes!

I make a good living fixing other contractors cut corners.

The manufacturer, will catch on. Doesn't matter how good of terms your on with the distributor.
    Once the manufacturer bills them for those heat exchangers. You'll be getting a bill also.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12