Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Carrier/Bryant Heat Pump Seer Ratings?

Hello!

New to the forum and looking for an explanation.

I'm getting a Carrier Infinity 19 Seer heat pump along with the ICS furnace next week. I was also looking at the Byant Evolution Heat pump, but the Seer rating on their model is only a 18 Seer? What gives, I know they are suppose to be the exact same Heat pump? Am I wrong, please advise...

Thanks guys ahead of time for the explanation!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC78 View Post
    Hello!

New to the forum and looking for an explanation.

I'm getting a Carrier Infinity 19 Seer heat pump along with the ICS furnace next week. I was also looking at the Byant Evolution Heat pump, but the Seer rating on their model is only a 18 Seer? What gives, I know they are suppose to be the exact same Heat pump? Am I wrong, please advise...

Thanks guys ahead of time for the explanation!

Mike
    Mike:

Don't be dissappointed when you find out that a 19 SEER heat pump means "up to 19 SEER", and that most do not attain 19 SEER.

Post the exact model numbers of the condenser (outdoor unit), matching indoor coil, and furnace. You can use the Air Conditioning, Heating and Refrigeration Institute (AHRI) directory to get the real performance numbers:

www.AHRIDirectory.org.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    Mike:

Don't be dissappointed when you find out that a 19 SEER heat pump means "up to 19 SEER", and that most do not attain 19 SEER.

Post the exact model numbers of the condenser (outdoor unit), matching indoor coil, and furnace. You can use the Air Conditioning, Heating and Refrigeration Institute (AHRI) directory to get the real performance numbers:

www.AHRIDirectory.org.

Good luck.
    No, I understand... I just don't understand why the difference between the Bryant and the Carrier line? Their top rated SEER is 18 vs Carrier's 19 SEER?

The model numbers on my equipment will be as follows:

-Carrier Infinity 3-stage modulating (58MVC100-F-1-20)

-Carrier Infinity 19 SEER heat pump 3-ton, 2-stage (25HNA936A003)

-Carrier Performance N-Coil (CNPVP3621ATA)

Thanks,

Mike

The model numbers on my equipment will be as follows:

-Carrier Infinity 3-stage modulating (58MVC100-F-1-20)

-Carrier Infinity 19 SEER heat pump 3-ton, 2-stage (25HNA936A003)

-Carrier Performance N-Coil (CNPVP3621ATA)

Thanks,

Mike
    That match-up is ARI# 1409733
    34,400 btu cooling, 12 EER, 16 SEER, 36,000 btu heating at 47F, 8.6 HSPF.

Take care.

Take care.
    Interesting... what is 12 SEER, the heat pump? Why would it be so low??

Interesting... what is 12 SEER, the heat pump? Why would it be so low??
    12 EER. EER = Energy Efficiency Ratio = System cooling btu's divided by the compressor power draw (in watts) at 95F ambient laboratory conditions.

EER is more representative of actual operating costs, although some will argue this. An EER of 12 is very good. SEER = "Seasonal" Energy Efficiency Ratio. To see some of my ramblings on SEER, see the thread titled "Advice for Planned A/C Upgrade".

HSPF = Heating Seasonal Performance factor, kind of the SEER for the heating mode of the heat pump. An HSPF of 8.6 is good, 9 is better.
    Last edited by gary_g; 09-10-2008 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Added more info.

Take care.
    I appreciate all the info, but have a question on the btu ratings.

My furnace is 100,000 btu rated, what is this rating you're talking about? Minimal btu's for heating?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL

My furnace is 100,000 btu rated, what is this rating you're talking about? Minimal btu's for heating?
    It's the heat pump btus at 47°F outdoor temp.,the colder it is outdoors,the lower an air cooled heat pumps btu cacity will be.Brands and models vary,so specific to models you posted.

The furnace is your auxillary (or back-up) heat, the heat pump is your primary heat because it is generally less $$ to run than a gas furnace. The numbers I provided are for the heat pump only in both cooling and heating modes (to answer your SEER question).

In general, a heat pump is used for heating until ambient temps of around 32F, or the balance point of the house, where the heat pump cannot provide enough btu's as the ambient temperature drops, so the furnace takes over for supplimentary heating.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Gary!

Now you got me thinking....

What exact temp should I set the heat pump to drop out and have the furnace kick in?? I live in central, IL where it gets cold in the winter.

You also have me questioning if they got me with the right size heat pump, they(contractors) all tell me that a 3 ton is big enough for my 2-story 2,400sq/ft home(including the basement). About 2,000 without the basement. If i'll be using the heat pump for the majority of the time, wouldn't a little larger size be better(4ton)? You got me thinking, all the contractors keep telling me is that my duct work isn't large enough and that the heat pump/AC would never kick out of the first stage.

I always like to go bigger and to me "bigger is better". Is it really that bad to go up an extra ton in size? My logic is that I have those extra BTU's if needed, and that I wouldn't be pushing the compressor as hard as a 3-ton unit.

12 EER. EER = Energy Efficiency Ratio = System cooling btu's divided by the compressor power draw (in watts) at 95F ambient laboratory conditions.

EER is more representative of actual operating costs, although some will argue this. An EER of 12 is very good. SEER = "Seasonal" Energy Efficiency Ratio. To see some of my ramblings on SEER, see the thread titled "Advice for Planned A/C Upgrade".

HSPF = Heating Seasonal Performance factor, kind of the SEER for the heating mode of the heat pump. An HSPF of 8.6 is good, 9 is better.
    Yes I would argue that,at exactly 95 ,you are correct at all other temps outdorrs ,you are wrong.Check the hours at various temps., an you'll see the light.That is the basis of why we have SEER ratings.

Thanks Gary!

Now you got me thinking....

What exact temp should I set the heat pump to drop out and have the furnace kick in?? I live in central, IL where it gets cold in the winter.

You also have me questioning if they got me with the right size heat pump, they(contractors) all tell me that a 3 ton is big enough for my 2-story 2,400sq/ft home(including the basement). About 2,000 without the basement. If i'll be using the heat pump for the majority of the time, wouldn't a little larger size be better(4ton)? You got me thinking, all the contractors keep telling me is that my duct work isn't large enough and that the heat pump/AC would never kick out of the first stage.

I always like to go bigger and to me "bigger is better". Is it really that bad to go up an extra ton in size? My logic is that I have those extra BTU's if needed, and that I wouldn't be pushing the compressor as hard as a 3-ton unit.
    Bigger is better for the heatpump,but not the cooling side.Oversized cooling will cost you in operating cost,and the humidity will be high in your home durig the coolig season.

Don't oversize it for cooling,IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    Bigger is better for the heatpump,but not the cooling side.Oversized cooling will cost you in operating cost,and the humidity will be high in your home durig the coolig season.

Don't oversize it for cooling,IMO.
    Thanks for the reply! What would be best in my case then, stay with the 3-ton? I'm using a heat pump in conjunction with a gas furnace.

I also find what you are telling me is quit odd, however I hear the same line from everyone else too. How in the heck can an oversize A/C unit cause more humidity?? Doesn't an A/C unit remove humidity?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast