Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    your ductwork is not reaching 119 degrees from the heat of the furnace and is wrapped on the outside. just as others have posted the smell is coming from somewhere else. i think what beenthere is saying is if the fiberglass is causing the smell why didnt it do it when the temps this summer were much higher?

because AC at 54F makes a rotten egg smell like nice fresh.

Crank up the heat and every molecule gets magnified 100 times.

I'm still wondering why the wrap above my air handler had leaks,
    even to I could pound on the side of it and feel metal plenum.

I may be in the dark, but I'm venturing a guess that this problem
    lies just above the air handler/coil unit above furnace.

I've removed every other possibility.

If you wrap a plenum just above the air handler/coil unit...and you can pound on that wrap and feel steel...why the hell does every little nick on that wrap
    feel an air leak? That's what I am suggesting. That wrap has a backing.
    It's made of some kind of fiberglass material. I've smelled enough of that stuff to know that it can transmit a smell. I am suggesting that the air handler is
    pushing hot air under that "wrap" and transmitting to ducts that fiberglass smell that you all say doesn't exist. I'd like to shove that smell up your collective noses...because a tech smell of plenum spun glass does exist.
    It's kinda obvious to anyone that has even been in contact with a plenum board.

Anyways...I'm gonna have to see about this. Call my installer.
    LOL...gee I could have said this in the first place. Radical tech smell with new furnace.

I see why people get frustrated with you. You will not listen to any of the ideas posted to you at all. You treat us like a bunch of idiots and seem to know more than anyone here. Why do you keep comming back? You have all of your answers so we can't help.

That being said even if the duct wrap does have a smell like you say the air in the plenum is pushing out of any cracks or holes so how could it get sucked into the air stream? By the way I did go back in the shop and smell our 1 foil backed duct wrap and it does have a slight odor. I would guess its from the adheasive used to connect to the foil. So there, I do smell something but it still makes no difference as its on the outside of the metal.

As stated we have used this product for years and have never had a problem. I still say its the stuff you put in the return and it got absorbed by the insulation in the furnace.
    Its a good Life!

lets think about this rationally. if you take a lit cigarette and place it next to the plenum on the outside will air travelling thru the duct past a hole pick up the smoke or blow the smoke away? could it be the smell is coming from somewhere else in the condo and is being pulled in thru the return?

My return air supply is not the issue.

I aired out my system. It's not that.

I removed all traces of previous "quieting" endeavors.

I fire up my Carrier Peformance 80 furnace and get a smell I thought I eradicated by getting rid of all the attempts at quieting my system.

I still get that plenum board-duct board insulation smell.

Pretty heavy too.

You can tell me where to go, but first let me tell you.
    It has to do with dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by caslon View Post
    You can tell me where to go, but first let me tell you.
    It has to do with dirt.
    This is probably the end of your stay here...

I feel bad for your installing company Cotty Gee...
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Some people just don't realize they are being an ass.
    I actually feel sorry for the homeowner but more sorry for the installing company

Good luck Caslon
    The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

C'mon, Cotty Gee was an angel compared to this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnery Sergeant Hartman View Post
    This is probably the end of your stay here...

I feel bad for your installing company Cotty Gee...
    Gunnery Sergent only replies here when he has a bug up his butt.

My post spelled it out. Possible "fiberglass tech odor" caused by
    the installer by way of coil/condenser to plenum connection up off the
    furnace.

Every other possible cause has been eliminated.

Now stick that up where the sun don't shine...or am I supposed to
    bow down and cater to dirt weasles who don't have any answers, but a lot of bs
    in the way of useless replies.

This is probably my end of my reading every one of your sarcastic unhelpful replies.

how can it be a problem with the duct work above the ceiling in your attic? did the installer replace all the duct work ? or just the difference between old furnace hight and new. if he did not touch duct work in attic than you would have gotten smell with old furnace.

Quote Originally Posted by sir fix alot View Post
    how can it be a problem with the duct work above the ceiling in your attic? did the installer replace all the duct work ? or just the difference between old furnace hight and new. if he did not touch duct work in attic than you would have gotten smell with old furnace.
    Yes, it was an existing furnace plenum, and it was wrapped with the new install of the Performance 80 series and a generic coil box above it.
    They did a reasonable looking job of installing both.

When I kick the heat on...I get an unmistakable smell of fiberglass plenum
    smell. How can I describe that further?

It's a smell I am familiar with having removed the plenum board that they insulated my small closet with.

Any hoo...the newly installed furnace sure exaggerates the smell of fiberglass
    type smell.

Any here in the know...knows exactly what's going on with this situation.
    And...I suspect they may have to remove the furnace/AC handler to correct the problem.

Things are starting to get a bit out of hand on this thread. There's been a good discussion, maybe it's time to let it go.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12