Installed my first boiler -- so easy even an engineer can do it

Installed a Weil McLain 1.5 Mbtu boiler for a bank that had to be assembled from scratch because of the setup.

Brought down a guy from Atlanta to help me out -- took us 5 days to commission it & get it operational.

I didn't think the job was tough except that the Cast Iron heat exchanger sections weighed 250 lbs each -- I cleared over 35k for 1 week's work -- that's what I'm talking about

pictures or it didnt happen.

lol

cool.

...teach me how.

Quote Originally Posted by emcoasthvacr View Post
    Installed a Weil McLain 1.5 Mbtu boiler for a bank that had to be assembled from scratch because of the setup.

Brought down a guy from Atlanta to help me out -- took us 5 days to commission it & get it operational.

I didn't think the job was tough except that the Cast Iron heat exchanger sections weighed 250 lbs each -- I cleared over 35k for 1 week's work -- that's what I'm talking about
    Was this to replace another boiler or a new installation?
    5 days seems excessive for comissioning and startup.

replacement

I heard 2 days if it's a straight in replacement,but only with a clean setup (I'd rather install walkins for 32 hrs of labor) -- 4-5 days if you have to disassemble the old boiler & assemble the new boiler like we did

I could see doing it in 4 days, but not 3 -- it's a lot of work.

The company needed a PE to commission the job -- I had little competition, and I had only a couple of competitors that could do the contracting.

I'm going to make a ton of money being a PE & contractor in Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by thump_rrr View Post
    Was this to replace another boiler or a new installation?
    5 days seems excessive for comissioning and startup.

We are currently doing two 12 sections 88's. Each section weight around 650. Craned the sections in first morning, by the end of day two all sections were together. Unfortunately, the eight inch pipe takes a little longer to layout, fit and weld. Five days for a small boiler like that guessing an 80 series 8 sections should go together in a day with an early quit, and then piping, electrical and breech. Ten man days seems like you may have been drinking your lunch.