Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question 440 Vapor Charge: What does it do to the Liquid?

Customer received the unit with major leak, which i fixed. I used to test leak and recharged with vapor side of 404 tank, like a dummy... Then, I had evap coils freezing up and fluctuating head pressure so i replaced the expansion valve. I realize charging with vapor may have been my problem all along. Alright, it was dumb, but i had not worked with 404 before... Once i realized the mistake, after replacing expansion valve, i vac'd the unit, then recharged with liquid from the same tank i had pulled the vapor from. Now, the head pressure is shooting to 450 and pressure relief valve land like an obstruction in the line. Could this be related to the usage of the same tank?! Or, would it cause the unit to do something else? Doesn't the new sympton sound like an obstruction?

Please help and sound off!
    Just don't flame me too much, though, y'all!

Billy Wilson
    Hattiesburg, MS

i hope you have some time until that unit needs to be fixed. you need to apply for pro status before we can give you real technical info. what is you superheat and subcooling?? and to understand better you pulled the 404 into a tank... than used the same refer and charged the system again?

Quote Originally Posted by Pascone10 View Post
    i hope you have some time until that unit needs to be fixed. you need to apply for pro status before we can give you real technical info. what is you superheat and subcooling?? and to understand better you pulled the 404 into a tank... than used the same refer and charged the system again?
    What's wrong with that?
    Other than charging back to the unit from the VAPOR side of the tank.
    Maybe he just needs to recover back to the same tank and recharge again from liquid.

If that's not the problem with the high pressure, maybe he accidentally brazed the inlet side of the TXV shut with sil-floss or something.
    True Heavy Metal Geek

Confused more info

Need more info before we can help. What, exactly, are you working on. I/M, Refrigerator, freezer? If possible, need make, model serial numbers. Help us to help you.:

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by PaysonHVAC View Post
    What's wrong with that?
    Other than charging back to the unit from the VAPOR side of the tank.
    Maybe he just needs to recover back to the same tank and recharge again from liquid.

If that's not the problem with the high pressure, maybe he accidentally brazed the inlet side of the TXV shut with sil-floss or something.
    nothing yet.. as long as we did not get air and/or moisture mixed with the refrigerant when he recovered. just trying to get more info

Quote Originally Posted by Pascone10 View Post
    nothing yet.. as long as we did not get air and/or moisture mixed with the refrigerant when he recovered. just trying to get more info

True.

And so far we don't know if he's working on a 12 ounch reach in system, a ice machine, or a Bohn Beacon Walk IN LOL!
    True Heavy Metal Geek

I would say that Tank is now JUNK..

You have made your own little cocktail there. Epecially if you charged more than a pound or so with vapor.

If you still have that gas that you recoverd the first time you can add the rest of your 404 tank and the remaining gas in the system in to the tank and you should have 404 again.

The only time you can charge as a vapor is it you add the whole tank to the system....

I'm guessing your not working on something that big.
    Last edited by Dchappa21; 09-10-2008 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by newyokel View Post
    Customer received the unit with major leak, which i fixed. I used to test leak and recharged with vapor side of 404 tank, like a dummy... Then, I had evap coils freezing up and fluctuating head pressure so i replaced the expansion valve. I realize charging with vapor may have been my problem all along. Alright, it was dumb, but i had not worked with 404 before... Once i realized the mistake, after replacing expansion valve, i vac'd the unit, then recharged with liquid from the same tank i had pulled the vapor from. Now, the head pressure is shooting to 450 and pressure relief valve land like an obstruction in the line. Could this be related to the usage of the same tank?! Or, would it cause the unit to do something else? Doesn't the new sympton sound like an obstruction?

Please help and sound off!
    Just don't flame me too much, though, y'all!

Billy Wilson
    Hattiesburg, MS

I have made that stupid mistake before. Sounds like your talking about your jug of 404 and not a recovery tank. If so, and you only had to use x amount of ounces, your jug of 404 should be okay until the liquid level in it gets low, then Id despose if it. I dont believe your jug is the problem.

Your problem sounds more like an overcharge or non-condensibles than a restriction. How deep of a vacuum did you pull? Did you weigh the 404 in?
    We cant get into alot of detail cuz of the rules. Ive probably already said too much. Sorry mods.

Unless you have a restriction in the discharge line or middle of the condenser or you have over charged the system, your head psi wont go above 300lbs. You have non-condensables in the system, "AIR". Recover ref, and then use a VACUME PUMP, pull system down to 29" and then recharge with weighed in liquid 404-A. Use a new bottle. Then you have ruled out all the possible ref, questions. and should be good.

Lightbulb Hope this Helps

The amount that 404a fractionates is so small. That you might as well say that it does not fractionate at all...

Oh ya, and it sounds like you have a restriction....

Hope this helps
    Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is that one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, well, the sky's the limit!

Your tank is fine. If it was that big a deal you'd have to pull the entire charge on a 404 system every time you have a leak on the suction side. But we don't. Vac it and charge it properly, then go looking for your cause (if it wasn't non condensables).

A good rule of thumb for the future......any refrigerant number that starts with a 4 is a blend and needs to be charged as liquid.

Quote Originally Posted by dblrye View Post
    A good rule of thumb for the future......any refrigerant number that starts with a 4 is a blend and needs to be charged as liquid.
    There are some exceptions.422D is one.
    Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast