Using Toulene or Xylene instead of Rx11 for flushing

Some of the old timers swear by these for flushing out 22 linesets for 410.

They say Rx11 is a ripoff price and Toulene & Xylene work better.

Anyone using these?

RX11 is over priced.

But I wouldn't waste my time experimenting with those other chemicals.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

RX11 is supposed to be nontoxic and nonflammable.

Xylene is highly flammable and causes neurological damage.

Toluene at high levels causes kidney damage.

Think that I'd rather take care of my family than have them take care of me.

I'll be struggling with this one for awhile

The flammabilty doesn't seem to bother the old timers and they been using it for over a year now with success -- since when is Rx11 healthy to snort?

I'm leaning toward flushing with Nitrogen then 410 as the cheapest solution --still have awhile to sort it out.

Hmm Rx11 opinion

Personaly I (we) have been flushing with Rx11 then Dry nitrogen then check it again for assurance............!
    Yes the cans are a bit expencive specialy the 30# jug BUT.............It's a lot more expencive to replace a compressor,waxed up Txv,Line set, ECT.
    And Explaining that to the HO.

Moderater invited to delete this if he deems this too diy, NOT cost effective for a pro to do. Have only done this on my own equipment, but successful use of reclaimed copper and carrier coils. This does illustrate one way that does work.

First, full assy (except for new compressor) brazed with 15% and N2 backfil.

150 psi compressed air pressure test.

MEK flush and soak for an hour, blow out for 15 min or so with 100psi compressed air. Then 10% ferric chrloride in distilled water left in overnight (eats off any CuO),another compressed air blowout.

Then vacuum pump for a day or 2 (yes, days) at 200 micron capability.

Now 200 psi N2 pressure test.

If holds 200 psi for a few days, another few hours of <500 um vacuum, and vacuum hold at less than 1 Torr for a few hours.

Now you are ok to charge after liq and suct driers installed and another N2 pressure and then vacuum test.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by emcoasthvacr View Post
    The flammabilty doesn't seem to bother the old timers and they been using it for over a year now with success -- since when is Rx11 healthy to snort?

I'm leaning toward flushing with Nitrogen then 410 as the cheapest solution --still have awhile to sort it out.
    Why would you flush with 410? Not only will it not clean as well a 22 it is illegal to vent either. If you really do, this could you post your company address as I could really use the $10K bounty from the EPA.

Quote Originally Posted by ebierley View Post
    Why would you flush with 410? Not only will it not clean as well a 22 it is illegal to vent either. If you really do, this could you post your company address as I could really use the $10K bounty from the EPA.
    Or maybe he could hook up his recovery machine and recover the 410 he just put in????

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by junkhound View Post
    Moderater invited to delete this if he deems this too diy, NOT cost effective for a pro to do. Have only done this on my own equipment, but successful use of reclaimed copper and carrier coils. This does illustrate one way that does work.

First, full assy (except for new compressor) brazed with 15% and N2 backfil.

150 psi compressed air pressure test.

MEK flush and soak for an hour, blow out for 15 min or so with 100psi compressed air. Then 10% ferric chrloride in distilled water left in overnight (eats off any CuO),another compressed air blowout.

Then vacuum pump for a day or 2 (yes, days) at 200 micron capability.

Now 200 psi N2 pressure test.

If holds 200 psi for a few days, another few hours of <500 um vacuum, and vacuum hold at less than 1 Torr for a few hours.

Now you are ok to charge after liq and suct driers installed and another N2 pressure and then vacuum test.
    We dont have the luxury of spending several days to clean lines.
    Easier to replace them and no worries.
    We've been doing so much,for so long,with so little, that now we can do almost anything, with nothing at all.