Thread: Quieting Noise from Lineset Where It Enters House

Post Likes

Quieting Noise from Lineset Where It Enters House

The lineset makes a buzzing/humming noise where it first enters unfinished basement. Lineset goes from outdoor unit about 1.5 feet, thru 8" concrete wall and then attached to floor joists.
    Checked that lineset is not vibrating against anything. It is clamped tight.
    Grabbing or moving line does not help.
    Putting ear next to lines pretty much confirms that I think that compressor noise (Trane xL16i Scroll) is being transmitted thru copper lines.
    Noise diminishes as I move farther down the line.
    This is new unit and lineset, but as I recall old unit had similar noise at the same spot.

From research and other posts, this seems normal. So questions are:
    Is there a good sound deadening material that I could wrap the first few feet of the lineset to absorb the noise???
    Is it OK and what is best way to "wrap" the lines??
    Is a car audio material like Dynamat useful in this situation??
    How do you pros address compressor noise transmitted thru lineset??

I'm almost positive that the lines themselves are not vibrating, but rather they are transmitting noise from outdoor compressor and once lineset enters house, the walls and floors are reflecting the noise and making it more noticeable. I don't hear the "buzz" when I'm outside near the compressor.

Post Likes
    Trane makes a add on kit which cobers the suction line from the compressor for about 6'. I can't remember the part number but this does help. Ask your installer to install one for you. Expect to pay for it.

Good luck.
    Its a good Life!

Post Likes

Unable to Find Specs on Cover

Thanks for the lead, unfortunately I was unable to find any specs on it such as material, etc. Any one have any ideas about this lineset cover? or an alternate. Will try calling contractor next.

Post Likes
    I'm almost positive that the lines themselves are not vibrating, but rather they are transmitting noise from outdoor compressor and once lineset enters house, the walls and floors are reflecting the noise and making it more noticeable. I don't hear the "buzz" when I'm outside near the compressor.

Have your servicer check to see if the compressor has a discharge gas muffler installed. Some Trane folks here may know by the model number. Some units do, some don't. One can be installed, if one is listed for the unit. (One can be installed regardless, but if not listed, may effect warranty)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in