Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by m kilgore View Post
    I bid equipment that will solve my customers problems after I talk to them. Most of the high end equipment will do this.
    Would it not speak more highly of your undoubtedly superb problem solving skills if you could solve problems at lesser expense?

Quote Originally Posted by ECIndHVAC View Post
    I do enjoy the challenge of working on complicated stuff. However, most of our clientelle simply want reasonably priced equipment that will heat or cool their homes.

Also, not to be sexist, but here's another thing to consider:

I'm going to step out on a limb and say most of us are males. We are happy if we are warm in winter and cool in summer. The idea of "tailoring a comfort system to suit our comfort needs" just sounds a little...fruity (needless to say, I'm not in sales).
    Well, the saying goes that if mama ain't happy no one is happy. Women are a huge influence as to the decisions made for the house.

If your calling me fruity then smack smack in your face. You have been punched by a mans man.
    Its a good Life!

Well, the saying goes that if mama ain't happy no one is happy.
    Well...I suppose this is true in quite a few homes. But primarily in the "matriarchial" homes where "mama be wearin' combat boots." And really now, would you expect a female version of GySgt Hartmann to be whining about her precious little comfort levels?

Well...I suppose this is true in quite a few homes. But primarily in the "matriarchial" homes where "mama be wearin' combat boots." And really now, would you expect a female version of GySgt Hartmann to be whining about her precious little comfort levels?
    ???????????????????????

I have no idea what any of this post even means?
    Its a good Life!

???????????????????????

I have no idea what any of this post even means?

LOL

Think about the types of homes where this is true:

"If mama aint happy, then no one is happy"

Here, you would expect mama to have a "dominant" personality, right?

That's why I compared her to GySgt (read: Gunnery Sergeant) Hartmann, the Marine drill instructor from "Full Metal Jacket".

I intended this as a joke, but evidently, it wasn't all that funny. So sue me.

I wonder if this is why most of the pros on this website seem to be heavy advocates of the high end, variable speed, up seer, etc stuff?
    I don't know if you're serious or sarcastic.

But what I mean is when a supplier holds a training seminar that is worth so many Nate credits, and instead it turns into a features and benefit sales pitch, that is just fraud in my book. Nate credits are being used to further the mfg bottom line, not the edcational advancement of the tech.

As to high end equipment, they sell it cause their market warrants it.

I sell 2stg 95% vs when i can but most folks either go with 80% or just a plain jane 90%. That's just the market a person has.

Quote Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
    ...when a supplier holds a training seminar that is worth so many Nate credits, and instead it turns into a features and benefit sales pitch...
    I am quite serious in my suspicion that the "education" you're talking about is part of what leads what I believe to be a notably disproportionate number of techs on this site to devalue the plain jane units.

Quote Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
    I sell 2stg 95% vs when i can but most folks either go with 80% or just a plain jane 90%. That's just the market a person has.
    I'm curious, whats the payback period between an 80% and 2stg? I know its years at least.

As far as high end for everyone i think that is wrong. I did sold that way for a while and now see problems with it. You need to provide the equipment that the house needs and the homeowner wants within reason. Sadly any first year tech can read the book and pass the nate test so getting credits for attending the all to famaliar training/sales pitch doesnt mean much to me any more

Quote Originally Posted by Leo3006 View Post
    I'm curious, whats the payback period between an 80% and 2stg? I know its years at least.

If you are asking whats the payback period between a 80% single stage and a 2 stage 80% there isn't one. Two stage is not designed to save fuel, it is designed for comfort.
    Its a good Life!

If you are asking whats the payback period between a 80% single stage and a 2 stage 80% there isn't one. Two stage is not designed to save fuel, it is designed for comfort.
    What he said.

Is that question on the NATE test

Quote Originally Posted by dkurmay View Post
    As far as high end for everyone i think that is wrong. I did sold that way for a while and now see problems with it. You need to provide the equipment that the house needs and the homeowner wants within reason. Sadly any first year tech can read the book and pass the nate test so getting credits for attending the all to famaliar training/sales pitch doesnt mean much to me any more
    I once asked my customers if I should suddenly die would they feel more secure if the guy who replaced me was sporting a NATE patch. The answer I got was they felt the same way about a NATE patch as they do about an auto mechanic sporting all those patches saying what they are trained in,,,,,NADA

What really counted was a state license and insurance. And if he was a competent tech.

I don't know if this way of thinking is in the majority or minority of HOs.

All i can tell is my customers and all my contractor friends' customers don't think it would motivate them in picking a contractor.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123