Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How much time for in-home consultation???

I have 6 HVAC companies coming out to my house to give me a quote for a complete system, including duct work. They have all said it would take 30-45 minutes, I thought this would be closer to 2 hours to take the all necessary measurements for a Manual J calculation and time for my questions. Even the most respected name in OKC was no different.

How long should I expect an in-home consultation to take? Should they do a load calculation per room or for the house as a whole? I do have an atrium, so more glass windows than most houses.

Thanks for any help with unknown world I'm entering!!!

Rick

I had three guys out, not duct work, simply removing and replacing my system, times were 20 minutes, 1 hour, and 4 hours (yes four hours).

Guess who I am buying from....

Quote Originally Posted by fenceman View Post
    The 20 minute crew, because they were cheaper and comfort is overrated?

Quote Originally Posted by ECIndHVAC View Post
    The 20 minute crew, because they were cheaper and comfort is overrated?
    Actually the 20 minute crew was the most expensive....

Actually the 20 minute crew was the most expensive....
    LOL,

It's because they're so seasoned and salty that they can instantly size up a house. Just ask them; the morons who spent four hours were obviously amatures

it takes as long as it takes.

If you have a knowledgeable guy and you want all the necessary info he can give you be prepared for a long session.

But you got six companies coming. Don't know why. But I think you may get
    confused with all that input.

To be frank we don't go out on Sales calls if we know that many companies are going to be in the mix.

Not because we are afraid to compete but it has been our experience that the buyer has heard so many variations on important hvac applications that we sometimes have been challenged on our facts. We aren't there to win an argument, but to educate the buyer. I suggest you pare down your appointments to three HVAC companies. See what they have to say and then if you have any concerns check with the guys here to separate the chaff from the wheat.

One thing you willl consistantly hear on this forum is the quality of the installation over thew brand of equipment choice.

Quote Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
    it takes as long as it takes.

If you have a knowledgeable guy and you want all the necessary info he can give you be prepared for a long session.

But you got six companies coming. Don't know why. But I think you may get
    confused with all that input.

To be frank we don't go out on Sales calls if we know that many companies are going to be in the mix.

Not because we are afraid to compete but it has been our experience that the buyer has heard so many variations on important hvac applications that we sometimes have been challenged on our facts. We aren't there to win an argument, but to educate the buyer. I suggest you pare down your appointments to three HVAC companies. See what they have to say and then if you have any concerns check with the guys here to separate the chaff from the wheat.

One thing you willl consistantly hear on this forum is the quality of the installation over thew brand of equipment choice.
    The above is very good advice from H.L.

One problem that we have seen when multiple companies that give multiple quotes are solicited the home owner will mix statements and information up between the companies.

We had a doctor get mad at us because he chose an R-22 system over an R-410A system even with the refrigerant type spelled out on the proposal.

Why? Because he got too many quotes and mixed up the verbal information.

WOW--6 estimates. I thought the magic number was 3. Expect to be very confused when it is done. Although the installer is most important you will probably here that everybody's different brand is the best. Don't expect load calc to be gave to you until you have signed a contract. Most people will probably spend 20-30 minutes with you upfront and then come back and spend more time if you choose them to do the work. Most contactors could not afford to spend 2 hours with every"free estimate" especially if they only have a 1 in 6 chance of getting job. If you are getting that many are you looking for cheapest price? Say company 1 comes out and spends 20 minutes and company 2 comes out and spends 2 hours. They both quote same brand and efficiency but company 1 is 20% cheaper. What would you do?

JJER

Might not just be looking for the best price but probably just feels the more opinions the more educated decision he can make.

Another thing is that in his area a two call sales close system might not be what is used.

I have not used that approach in 20 years.

But, yes, be prepared to pay for a man J from the contractor who performs one if you wish to use for comparison. If you choose the Man J preparer as your contractor he will usually deduct it from the contract price.

I had three guys out, not duct work, simply removing and replacing my system, times were 20 minutes, 1 hour, and 4 hours (yes four hours).

Depends. If you like to debate as a lot of HO forum members do you could have just bandied words about just for the joy of it with out buying a thing.

A long time spent on a sales call does not guarantee a sale for the contractor.

I would not call it a 2 call sales system. More then likely if he is getting 6 estimates he is not going to sign anything while you are there. I like to stay in very close contact with potential client to answer any addl. questions but either way I will be returning to get paperwork signed and go over last minute details. As far as the guy getting educated--I would call it getting confused.If you pick 3 reputable companies you should be educated enough to make a informed decision.

i agree. i was pointing out WHY he may have thought the more the better.

Just re read your statement on a two step sales call. The difference that led me to believe it was a two call approach is you stating you go over the equipment when you come back and get a signed contract.

When i get the job I have already explained to the prospects satisfaction how the equipment performs. Just a difference in execution but the same result, happy customer, HAPPIER CONTRACTOR

In the category of being nit-picky. The information a H.O. gleans from a half dozen sales calls will not result in their being educated; informed, maybe but not educated.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast