Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: hvac license

j0joe, j0joe, j0joe!

With all those qualifications, you need to seriously consider moving to the east side of Indiana. Here, you would be considered a GRAND master technician.

Quote Originally Posted by j0joe33 View Post
    Your mvac is not a license, neither is your Section 608. They are just certifications. I don't think you and these other guys are talking about the same thing. You need a lot more than clean air act certification to even come close to being even just a technician, let alone a contractor.

I have an Associates of Applied Sciences in Manufacturing & Industrial Technologies with a concentration in HVAC, gone to several seminars and in-house classes, I have over 2 years experience, I've put in countless of hours of crawling through attics and crawlspaces, purchased thousands of dollars in tools, and I'm still considered a novice. I still don't make much money (just enough to buy more tools). I still get the grunt jobs and probably will for a long time to come.

If you are looking for quick and easy money, play the lottery. If you're looking for challenging, rewarding, and interesting work; go to school, earn your stripes crawling eyeball deep through blown insulation every day, and eat sleep and breath HVAC for the next 5 years or so. Then, maybe, maybe, if you have the guts and determination will you become a technician.

Most people don't make it that far. I agree with the dangling wrangler Probably more than eighty percent of the people who start off in this trade drop out. About forty to eighty kids graduate from the college here in my town every year and I don't see any of guys I went to school with in the wholesale houses. I don't see any new people at all for that matter. And those that do stay in the business know that it isn't like they expected when they started. It's not the way I expected it to be anyway.

As far as getting a "licence" just to work on your own equipment; you'll probably only learn enough to get yourself in trouble. Besides the cost of the tools you'll need far outweighs the cost of hiring a tech.
    Nothing I care to add to that. It about covers all the bases.

Quote Originally Posted by ECIndHVAC View Post
    j0joe, j0joe, j0joe!

With all those qualifications, you need to seriously consider moving to the east side of Indiana. Here, you would be considered a GRAND master technician.
    Heh, not in this town, there's a college here. I wish I could move but, it's hard because I'm from here. Thanks for the tip though. Maybe someday I'll go where I'm appreciated.

I'm studying for my NATE tests right now too btw.

I also have alot of experience working on small appliances like window units, ice machines, domestic refrigerators, pop machines, and chest freezers.

Oh yes, and I have an HVAC Technicians certification EPA clean air act 608 Type I, II.
    Last edited by j0joe33; 09-14-2008 at 11:24 AM.

Talking I know someone doing just that

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    You mean you not going to let him drive around all day, depositing the hundreds of checks people give and mail to you. LOL
    hehehe, I know someone doing just that. He just drive around all day long; pick up this, drop off that, Also go to the bank - deposite the loot. His boss call him...Gofer
    Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H.L. Hunt

"In order that people may be happy in their work, these three things are needed: They must be fit for it. They must not do too much of it. And they must have a sense of success in it." John uskin

Quote Originally Posted by junior1 View Post
    trust me i believe you. the contractor i hired for the job at my residential gave me all the sources i needed without realizing it. i wont get all into it but, he asked for cash up front and i said no. i told him look I'm not giving you cash, i might never see you again.i told him either you pay for everything out of your pocket and as soon as everything is done to my satisfaction meaning installed properly then i will pay you cash upon finished job.
    You would have given me 65% up front.

well you all know what happened after that, i knew there was some profit out of parts as well, and i didn't care i agreed to a installed price and that was it . well all things considered i was happy with the profit he made, but the one that got really shafted was the helper. he didn't make much and it was allot of work removing old metal duct work in a low attic. while the contractor went home and took a nap or what ever he did during the installation. he never showed up till the job was nearly finished or in the mornings to drop off the helper.
    I would have dropped off 2 guys to tear the old stuff ut while I went to play golf or went to the gun range or just sat home watching Fox news.

yes it took more than two days on a 2600 square foot home 1 story. the removal o f metal ducts was the hardest part of all. i can only imagine how fast things would go on a newly installed system . anyway i like this forum and there are plenty of knowlegeable people here that i wish to learn from. i have an mvac license which is considered a 609 i believe which im going for a 608. soon it will be in my hands all with time.
    If you already know how to do the job then check with the state on the licensing requirements.

Here, I needed 2000 hours of verifiable experience which was no problem since Ive been in the trade since high school. I needed to take a test and pass which I did. Now the real learning is going on since doing the work is one thing and actually making a living at it is another.

Good luck to you.
    Owner
    All-American Air Conditioning
    Vero Beach, Florida

Can someone 'wake me up' when this job gets easy and fluffy?

Quote Originally Posted by tlrutko312 View Post
    Can someone 'wake me up' when this job gets easy and fluffy?

Twilli says when you can become like Richard, and be a great guitar player. Twilli want to be Richards manager.....
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post

Twilli want to be Richards manager.....

You want to manage dick??

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by tinmarine View Post
    You want to manage dick??

Only the big ones, your still too small, you need to become big like Richard

See you made it and it didn't take long....welcome

Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    Nothing I care to add to that. It about covers all the bases.
    Twilli talked to Mr Bill today and he wants me to make a post for him. You obviuosly made it. Twilli's trailer can't take no hurricane

Twilli talked to Mr Bill today and he wants me to make a post for him. You obviuosly made it. Twilli's trailer can't take no hurricane
    Well, you are special. I tried calling all his numbers, and when that didn't work, I started calling people he knew. Not one called me back. I did a drive by last night just to see if his house was still there. It was. He was napping (930 PM) so I left. His lawn was so clean, you could eat off it. Thanks T.

Didn't you just get part of one of the storms we had?

Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    Didn't you just get part of one of the storms we had?
    Southern Ohio got hit pretty bad. Bill told me he had cleaned his lawn today and still has no power.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast