Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: hvac license

Quote Originally Posted by junior1 View Post
    trust me i believe you. the contractor i hired for the job at my residential gave me all the sources i needed without realizing it. i wont get all into it but, he asked for cash up front and i said no. i told him look I'm not giving you cash, i might never see you again.i told him either you pay for everything out of your pocket and as soon as everything is done to my satisfaction meaning installed properly then i will pay you cash upon finished job. well you all know what happened after that, i knew there was some profit out of parts as well, and i didn't care i agreed to a installed price and that was it . well all things considered i was happy with the profit he made, but the one that got really shafted was the helper. he didn't make much and it was allot of work removing old metal duct work in a low attic. while the contractor went home and took a nap or what ever he did during the installation. he never showed up till the job was nearly finished or in the mornings to drop off the helper. yes it took more than two days on a 2600 square foot home 1 story. the removal o f metal ducts was the hardest part of all. i can only imagine how fast things would go on a newly installed system . anyway i like this forum and there are plenty of knowlegeable people here that i wish to learn from. i have an mvac license which is considered a 609 i believe which im going for a 608. soon it will be in my hands all with time.
    did you ever think that mabee he was out running service calls and rounding up more work and yes being a helper sucks but you have to start somewhere and somebody has to do it

all i have to say is wow. hey classical buddy your wrote the book man im just starting to think about reading it to learn what it takes to be a master like your self. i assume your a pro at what you do and thats great i bow to you. i never did consider my self a professional at hvac by all means. i simply interpreted that i would probably pick it up quicker than others, but was interested in taking a course at San Jacinto College. i have no problem coiffing up one thousand dollars or so for a course im very interested in for learning purposes only if i wish to do so,as far as the metal ductwork goes i had no choice but to remove it as the attic space wouldn't allow for it to be raised and be re insulated and the old cardboard insulation used back in the days was all completely gone.i am not here to be bashed at or bash on anyone. i will reinstall metal ductwork back as soon as i can raise my roof. thank you for the insult, but im not as sentimental as you are, i bet you don't admit to your mistakes when one is addressed to you, i bet your refuse to be wrong at some point because your mind is set to be the only one that is correct at all times. well i m glad for you

Please read through the following rules and instructions.

HVAC Pros, please note; home owners are welcome to ask questions here, if you do not wish to be helpful that is fine but do not intimidate, obstruct or criticize those that wish to be more helpful than you. If you do not like a particular thread or topic, do not reply.

catmanacman lol you are absolutely correct. read one of my previous post it will say the same thing you are saying right now.

this is going the wrong way, so im not going to reply to my own thread anymore. im not here to argue with any professional by all means i have not the knowledge to even defend myself with on hvac. the thing i like most is to prove someone wrong and every time i get negative feed back or insults it just makes me more aggressive to achieve what one says cant be done. envy en powers me.

classical if i offended you or anyone els in the field by assuming that the individual contractor was taking a nap at home while his helper was working his but off, i apologize to everyone of you, but i do not apologize for something that i would like to learn and that no one was born with this knowledge as some make it seem like, everyone started out somewhere and thats where i will start out at.

and for those that have been contributing helful information rather than bashing on me i appreciate it thank you very much

If this is something you want to do...go for it. You can learn as much as you want, and you don't have to be a contractor. There's at least one home owner on this board, in the Houston area, that probably has more knowledge than most techs. As you've found out, it's a tough crowd you're playing in front of. I say Good Luck sir.

Everyone take a deep breath......

Ok...Junior you're absolutely right. You have the right to ask questions. However, you can't dictate how others are going to respond. May I suggest you take the good with the bad?

Conversely, might I encourage you to look at things from another perspective? It's always easy to assme that someone is doing something that seems contrary to us for bad reasons, for example leaving a helper and then himself leaving the job. I've had many a boss who's left me in the same predicament and I've found myself cursing them and assuming they were doing everything than what they were actually doing--something actually productive. You have to understand that there are quite a number of business owners so making the statment about taking a nap is going to be taken a little personally by some of these guys. Don't let a few pissed of guys stop you from getting the information you want.

The only person who can really most accurately judge the character of your contractor is you since you're the only one of us who has had personal interaction with him. Just be aware that we are not there so we're inclined to see things from a biased point of view. Good luck with your endeavours.

Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    did you ever think that mabee he was out running service calls and rounding up more work and yes being a helper sucks but you have to start somewhere and somebody has to do it
    Being an HVAC helper is honestly the best job I ever had; in fact, it's better than any job I could ever imagine having. I am literally addicted to this stuff through and through. If I'm not on a service call, I swear I'm on this site. Speaking of which, I just now (it's close to midnight here) got back home from replacing a compressor on a commercial packaged heat pump. And I can almost guarantee you I'll be having sweet dreams about it.

Go after your dream

trust me things don't always work the way we wish it would.i would never expect things to be that easy but that was just a thought of what the contractor might of been doing. who knows he might of been lining up another job, thats something i would be doing as well. guys i was just thinking out loud if you will ignore my ignorance and thank you for your comments on how hard this profession is. but one will never find out how hard or easy it is till one is in the professionals shoes at some point.
    This quote said it the best:

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the tradewinds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
    Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H.L. Hunt

"In order that people may be happy in their work, these three things are needed: They must be fit for it. They must not do too much of it. And they must have a sense of success in it." John uskin

jr. you did not offend me with your comments about the contractor. You do offend me when you insinuate that you can blissfully go take a few classes and become a contractor and go out and make an honest living here.

I am offended everyday because there are literally thousand of supposed contractors in Houston that have no real understanding of how to operate a business, price a job or properly design and install a system out there making it more difficult for me to make a living being a professional. You see I take pride in my work and I expect to be paid a decent profit for doing the job as it should be done. However because there are so many untrained, ill informed waana bes in Houston playing at being HVAC contractors my job and skills are diminished in the consumers mind.

Your comments are offensive because you know a modicum of the language and have taken a nothing test, wish to take another nothing test and spend a $1,000.00 and think you are ready to enter the arena with the big dogs. That is what is offensive to me.

classical i think we should just drop this. you have your opinions and i have my own. this world is so big that everyone can make a living even those that pretend to fully understand the hvac world. in every business there are those that actually know what they are doing and there are those that are just making it in this world. take this phrase to the heart man, people pay for what they get. if they rather pay a monkey to do a sloppy job so be it its there money. if they rather pay top notch for talent, so be it its still there money. if you do what you do from the heart at your best with pride, then i am just like you. i like to take pride in what i do. i like show it off to those that envy my extra steps to get the job done right. this is why i have job security at my current job. i have quit on them once before to go else where long story. ques what i get a phone call from the general manager asking me to come back and the Foreman almost lost his job over it, of course it gave me more power to ask for more money or i would stay right where he called me at. i really didn't want to come back because there is so much personality issues etc., and where i was at it was so much peacefully but i couldn't refuse the offer i should of but didn't.

relax classical if you do it with pride, you shouldn't have any problem with other recommendations from those that were satisfied with your service. this is where your foundation is at for your business, not what others are doing but what your current customers think about your service. if the monkey did a sloppy job no matter how cheap the bid was, he is more than likely starving out there trying to find another sucker out there. he will not get recommendations from his first time client. he doesn't hold ground on a good foundation. i hope i made sense, im not out to get you or anyone else. im not starting over night either man im just not paying for little knowledge i know on this matter, i am not a pro. but for now like beenthere said on previous post im in it for my own repairs if i wish to make it a trade/profession then so be it i will do what it takes to be legal. honestly im really intrested in this trade that my brain wont back out of the thought of being in this profession, so yes i will get my license and hands on training/ its always different out in the real world rather than in a class room. i understand that live and learn brother everyone does, including me in the profession im in but i don't consider myself a pro never did i learn something new every day this world is changing by the minute with new technology etc.

good luck with your buisness and i hope it gets better for you.

classical i think we should just drop this. you have your opinions and i have my own. this world is so big that everyone can make a living even those that pretend to fully understand the hvac world. in every business there are those that actually know what they are doing and there are those that are just making it in this world. take this phrase to the heart man, people pay for what they get. if they rather pay a monkey to do a sloppy job so be it its there money. if they rather pay top notch for talent, so be it its still there money. if you do what you do from the heart at your best with pride, then i am just like you. i like to take pride in what i do. i like show it off to those that envy my extra steps to get the job done right. this is why i have job security at my current job. i have quit on them once before to go else where long story. ques what i get a phone call from the general manager asking me to come back and the Foreman almost lost his job over it, of course it gave me more power to ask for more money or i would stay right where he called me at. i really didn't want to come back because there is so much personality issues etc., and where i was at it was so much peacefully but i couldn't refuse the offer i should of but didn't.

relax classical if you do it with pride, you shouldn't have any problem with other recommendations from those that were satisfied with your service. this is where your foundation is at for your business, not what others are doing but what your current customers think about your service. if the monkey did a sloppy job no matter how cheap the bid was, he is more than likely starving out there trying to find another sucker out there. he will not get recommendations from his first time client. he doesn't hold ground on a good foundation. i hope i made sense, im not out to get you or anyone else. im not starting over night either man im just not paying for little knowledge i know on this matter, i am not a pro. but for now like beenthere said on previous post im in it for my own repairs if i wish to make it a trade/profession then so be it i will do what it takes to be legal. honestly im really intrested in this trade that my brain wont back out of the thought of being in this profession, so yes i will get my license and hands on training/ its always different out in the real world rather than in a class room. i understand that live and learn brother everyone does, including me in the profession im in but i don't consider myself a pro never did i learn something new every day this world is changing by the minute with new technology etc.

good luck with your buisness and i hope it gets better for you.
    For those of you out there who may be scratching your heads in confusion, I shall attempt a translation:

"Classical, we're in a situation where we should just agree to disagree. But I'm not going to agree to that, and therefore, I will continue to argue. I say that it's OK if I become a hack contractor who rips people off, because anyone stupid enough to hire me deserves to be taken advantage of. But I would never be a hack contractor, because I take pride in what I do. In fact, I am such a genius that I am frequently missunderstood. For example, my foreman either mistook my greatness for incompetence, or was just jealous of me, and so he gave me a hard time. I was too brilliant to have to put up with his nonsense, so I just quit. However, management realized what potential I had, so they begged me to return and reprimanded my foreman for his idiocy. Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't have returned to my position as a tire rethreader, but since management deemed me worthy of a seven figure salary, I reluctantly accepted.

Current research leads me to believe that good work leads to good recommendations. I also suspect that if you do good work, then it may well be the case that you do good work. I hope this overblown chain of nonsense makes good sense to you folks. I do not want to pay for an HVAC education, but I would like to pay for an HVAC education. I want to become licensed, but I don't want to become licensed, because I'm only interested in HVAC for my own repairs. Purple monkey dishwasher.

In closing, I would like to admit that I'll never reach consumate professional status as a tire rethreader, because the technology is changing too rapidly. But you, Classical, have a chance.

Godspeed, amigo"

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by ECIndHVAC View Post
    For those of you out there who may be scratching your heads in confusion, I shall attempt a translation:

"Classical, we're in a situation where we should just agree to disagree. But I'm not going to agree to that, and therefore, I will continue to argue. I say that it's OK if I become a hack contractor who rips people off, because anyone stupid enough to hire me deserves to be taken advantage of. But I would never be a hack contractor, because I take pride in what I do. In fact, I am such a genius that I am frequently misunderstood. For example, my foreman either mistook my greatness for incompetence, or was just jealous of me, and so he gave me a hard time. I was too brilliant to have to put up with his nonsense, so I just quit. However, management realized what potential I had, so they begged me to return and reprimanded my foreman for his idiocy. Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't have returned to my position as a tire rethreader, but since management deemed me worthy of a seven figure salary, I reluctantly accepted.

Current research leads me to believe that good work leads to good recommendations. I also suspect that if you do good work, then it may well be the case that you do good work. I hope this overblown chain of nonsense makes good sense to you folks. I do not want to pay for an HVAC education, but I would like to pay for an HVAC education. I want to become licensed, but I don't want to become licensed, because I'm only interested in HVAC for my own repairs. Purple monkey dishwasher.

In closing, I would like to admit that I'll never reach consumate professional status as a tire rethreader, because the technology is changing too rapidly. But you, Classical, have a chance.

Godspeed, amigo"

Hope this helps.
    Why do you think this guy will become a hack? I'd be willing to guess that close to eighty per cent of the folks that start out in this trade drop out . The time involved, cost of tools, training, the list goes on and on. I'll say if he was going to be a hack, why bother trying to get licensed.I feel no threat at all from somebody that tries to make it in this business. If he does get licensed, I could even throw some work his way. I'm just not understanding why the attack on j1. I try to get along with everybody on this site, weather they say things I like or not. But, that's just me.

I try to get along too. I was just giving him a friendly, mild "ribbin" on his grammar and coherency.

Quote Originally Posted by ECIndHVAC View Post
    I try to get along too. I was just giving him a friendly, mild "ribbin" on his grammar and coherency.
    OK. But, I think you see where I'm coming from. The guy wants to get his license, it's not the end of the world. He won't put you or I out of business.

Right. I think that if HVAC is what he, or anyone else for that matter, wants to do, then more power to him. Personally, I think getting a job in HVAC is the greatest thing that ever happened to me, and I only wish everyone else could get a job that offers that much satisfaction.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast