Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: hvac license

the dangling wrangler i can sure use a big brother right now lol. someone that will set me straight. in every job there are bad habits and i would like to learn the good habits rather than bad habits.

I doubt you live in VA but here's the breakdown here:

In order to operate as a HVAC contractor you must have a Masters licence in the trade as well as a Class A, B, or C contractor license. Now in order to obtain a Masters licence on of the following must happen:

1.) Have 10 years of verifiable work experience in the trade and pass the masters test.

2.) Have held a Journeyman's license for a minimum of 1 year and pass the masters test.

there's more but I'll stop there. In short: Big pimpin' ain't easy. These guys (the seasoned vet's) have more than paid their dues to be where they are and I respect the hell out of them for it. If this is something you decide to pursue to heed my warning: If you're not careful you might start to fall in love with the trade and stop seeing it as a means not to pay the "leeches".

Quote Originally Posted by addamsmasher View Post
    heed my warning: If you're not careful you might start to fall in love with the trade and stop seeing it as a means not to pay the "leeches".
    LOL

When you reach the point that 99% of your waking hours are spent either on service calls or on this website, then you know you're pretty well screwed.

Worse than heroin, IMO

Quote Originally Posted by ECIndHVAC View Post
    LOL

When you reach the point that 99% of your waking hours are spent either on service calls or on this website, then you know you're pretty well screwed.

Worse than heroin, IMO
    I like that one.

yeppers== you will be able to spend alot of time with the wife and kids-- trust me--
    lining up your jobs will be the only hard work you will ever do LOL

plenty of time for naps...
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Quote Originally Posted by papa_jo View Post
    yeppers== you will be able to spend alot of time with the wife and kids-- trust me--
    lining up your jobs will be the only hard work you will ever do LOL
    You forgot. As an owner, all you do is drive around picking up checks, and going to the bank.

Plenty of work all around for all of us. No companies closing up, or down sizing at all. I know I stay up all night from all the naps I take during the day. Of course I use a grocery bag stuffed full o' money for a pillow.

In MI you have to prove you have worked at least three years in the trade before you can take the test. Not exactly a cake walk either, most don't pass it on the first crack. If you get into commercial you will never stop learning, and what you get into with heavy industrial, well you'll never want to do anything else quite frankly. Heavy industrial is totally different, either you hate it or love it. But to get into this trade just because you think you'll be able to fluff off after a while and just stroll around and make sure that things are done right, you better rethink. There is no part of this trade that allows you to do what you're thinking/describing. Basically you saying that the foreman, or whomever he was, was out napping or kicking back somewhere and not working just trivializes what we do for a living. If he was kicking back, he would be fired if he worked for me. I'm willing to bet he never stops. But thanks for thinking this trade is a joke that anyone can step into it and make tons of money.
    Jim

trust me things don't always work the way we wish it would.i would never expect things to be that easy but that was just a thought of what the contractor might of been doing. who knows he might of been lining up another job, thats something i would be doing as well. guys i was just thinking out loud if you will ignore my ignorance and thank you for your comments on how hard this profession is. but one will never find out how hard or easy it is till one is in the professionals shoes at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by junior1 View Post
    trust me things don't always work the way we wish it would.i would never expect things to be that easy but that was just a thought of what the contractor might of been doing. who knows he might of been lining up another job, thats something i would be doing as well. guys i was just thinking out loud if you will ignore my ignorance and thank you for your comments on how hard this profession is. but one will never find out how hard or easy it is till one is in the professionals shoes at some point.
    Just what we need in Houston another clueless contractor, I suppose that you want to follow in the footsteps of the clown that screwed up your home.

Lets see first clue he wanted to be paid before the job was started and you hired him anyway; real bright. You let this clown take out metal ductwork and install flex duct on a 2600 sq.ft. single story home another bright move.

This city is flush with contractors that think they know how to service and install HVAC systems what will one more talent less hack hurt.

It takes years of working in the field along with years of study and training to develop the knowledge base to properly design and install a system. Any clown can slam in a bunch parts and flex it takes skill and knowledge to do it properly and with effectively. You will not learn what it takes to be a qualified contractor in any training facility around here, your best bet would be Ferris in I think Michigan. The people that come out of the training schools around here are not fit to be helpers let alone business owners.

In addition I suggest that you learn to speak and write English with a modicum of proficiency which you apparently according to your post here you do not possess.

Quote Originally Posted by addamsmasher View Post
    I doubt you live in VA but here's the breakdown here:

In order to operate as a HVAC contractor you must have a Masters licence in the trade as well as a Class A, B, or C contractor license. Now in order to obtain a Masters licence on of the following must happen:

1.) Have 10 years of verifiable work experience in the trade and pass the masters test.

2.) Have held a Journeyman's license for a minimum of 1 year and pass the masters test.

there's more but I'll stop there. In short: Big pimpin' ain't easy. These guys (the seasoned vet's) have more than paid their dues to be where they are and I respect the hell out of them for it. If this is something you decide to pursue to heed my warning: If you're not careful you might start to fall in love with the trade and stop seeing it as a means not to pay the "leeches".
    VA not easy he think 608 will let him buy euipment from trane or carrier

What I find amusing is, he wanted to be paid in CASH. That should have been the first red flag. I'll bet ya he isn't even licensed.Junior, was he? I wouldn't refuse to be paid in cash, but would never ask to be paid that way. Did you even get a printed invoice? By that I mean not hand printed, but a "real" one.

Hey I used to live up on Bull Run Mountain, nice to see a neighbor. Can some of you guys from other states share what the requirements are to become a master?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast