Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 79

Thread: hvac license

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    43

    hvac license

    i like the mentality challenge. i would like to be a license hvac individual. where do i start? what course/class etc. should i apply for at collage or school etc. please any information would be very appreciate. i hate paying for something i somewhat understand i would like to fully understand hvac.
    im in houston s.e area

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    East central Indiana
    Posts
    477
    There seem to be quite a few ways to become an HVAC guy. Probably, the "tried and true" way is to go to a trade school.

    I never had any formal education in HVAC, just a general purpose degree in mathematics. I just had the good fortune of knowing several contractors, and that's how I got my job.

    And yes, I think you're right: HVAC work is without a doubt the most intellectually engaging of all the basic building trades.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SW Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,985
    There is a lot to learn & more to learn every year.

    When doing service work &/or installations, you need a blueprint, on paper at first, then in your head as to the proper sequence order by which to do it right.

    I would go to a good tech school & then learn all you can from those with a lot of experience in the field.

    Here is a small glimpse, follow the links:
    http://www.udarrell.com/proper_cfm_b...g_systems.html
    - Darrell

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Posts
    68,064
    Might want to check your state laws.
    They may require you to work for a licensed contractor for X thousand of hours before your allowed to take your test.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    11,872
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Might want to check your state laws.
    They may require you to work for a licensed contractor for X thousand of hours before your allowed to take your test.
    I think ben is right, I used to remember all that stuff. Try here, it might help:

    http://www.license.state.tx.us/

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Ft.Worth,Tx
    Posts
    4,584

    Smile Texas Licensing and Regulation

    I would take some courses on Hvac and Nate certified books will help.

    Contact your local ACCA rep. and they will help you and there are some good schools in Texas & Oklahoma that have HVAC training.

    Good Luck.

    Maybe your the one in line to replace me, I am coming to the end of my career in Hvac, so hurry up and get that training.

    1976-2008
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Posts
    68,064
    I think he just wants to get his license so he doesn't have to pay us blood sucking leeches for his A/C repairs.
    Not to work in it as a trade/proffesion.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    11,872
    Quote Originally Posted by aircooled53 View Post

    Maybe your the one in line to replace me, I am coming to the end of my career in Hvac, so hurry up and get that training.

    1976-2008
    Same here. How come I can't retire yet?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Ft.Worth,Tx
    Posts
    4,584

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    Same here. How come I can't retire yet?
    Well, it might be you instead of me he's in Houston and I'm in Fort Worth.
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    11,872
    Quote Originally Posted by aircooled53 View Post
    Well, it might be you instead of me he's in Houston and I'm in Fort Worth.
    Well, alright then. Just as long as I don't get pushed to the back of the line.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    43
    lol guys i think been there hit the nail with the hammer or how ever that expression goes lol. yes I'm interested in it for my own repairs etc. and once comfortable with it i might consider it for a trade/profession etc. i was looking for a trade/profession for a long time that would put me close or maybe right at my current income and i think i might of stumbled across it. believe it or not my current profession has me sick and tired of it and doesn't allow me to spend enough time with the wife and kids. this might help if i get my ducks in a roll and just have helpers do the job and me coming along at the final steps and checking everything out and hooking up the coper lines and the 220 and pulling vacuum etc. and so on you all know the routine better than i can imagine. I'm sure there is plenty of work out there for all contractors to be able to live off of. and yet questionable sometimes due to pricing if your too high you will scare your customers but then again there is profession and parts replace rs etc. i wont get into all that but i appreciate all the great info here, i think i might of found the answer in another thread posted here that took me straight to the source and i have already downloaded my study guide from on line and as soon as i get a chance i will start studying and I'm sure i will do just fine if i set my mind to it.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    11,872
    Quote Originally Posted by junior1 View Post
    lol guys i think been there hit the nail with the hammer or how ever that expression goes lol. yes I'm interested in it for my own repairs etc. and once comfortable with it i might consider it for a trade/profession etc. i was looking for a trade/profession for a long time that would put me close or maybe right at my current income and i think i might of stumbled across it. believe it or not my current profession has me sick and tired of it and doesn't allow me to spend enough time with the wife and kids. this might help if i get my ducks in a roll and just have helpers do the job and me coming along at the final steps and checking everything out and hooking up the coper lines and the 220 and pulling vacuum etc. and so on you all know the routine better than i can imagine. I'm sure there is plenty of work out there for all contractors to be able to live off of. and yet questionable sometimes due to pricing if your too high you will scare your customers but then again there is profession and parts replace rs etc. i wont get into all that but i appreciate all the great info here, i think i might of found the answer in another thread posted here that took me straight to the source and i have already downloaded my study guide from on line and as soon as i get a chance i will start studying and I'm sure i will do just fine if i set my mind to it.
    Yep, this trade is all peaches & cream. A walk in the park. You'll be taking your money to the bank by the truck load.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    43
    trust me i believe you. the contractor i hired for the job at my residential gave me all the sources i needed without realizing it. i wont get all into it but, he asked for cash up front and i said no. i told him look I'm not giving you cash, i might never see you again.i told him either you pay for everything out of your pocket and as soon as everything is done to my satisfaction meaning installed properly then i will pay you cash upon finished job. well you all know what happened after that, i knew there was some profit out of parts as well, and i didn't care i agreed to a installed price and that was it . well all things considered i was happy with the profit he made, but the one that got really shafted was the helper. he didn't make much and it was allot of work removing old metal duct work in a low attic. while the contractor went home and took a nap or what ever he did during the installation. he never showed up till the job was nearly finished or in the mornings to drop off the helper. yes it took more than two days on a 2600 square foot home 1 story. the removal o f metal ducts was the hardest part of all. i can only imagine how fast things would go on a newly installed system . anyway i like this forum and there are plenty of knowlegeable people here that i wish to learn from. i have an mvac license which is considered a 609 i believe which im going for a 608. soon it will be in my hands all with time.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event