Post Likes

Post Are Japanese-Style Air Conditioners Growing in Popularity in the US?

The Wall Street Journal reported that Daikin Industries, Ltd. is building a $410 million factory in the Houston area. This is a sure bet that the company believes its energy-efficient, Japanese style air conditioners can take some traction from American-designed air conditioners.

Content Classification: Curated

read more

More...

Post Likes
    They are kind of like city cars. The SEER rating is quite high in part because of the reduced cyclic losses and in part because of different rating standards given to variable speed system that give heavy weigh to performance when the ambient temperature is in the 60s. When you scrutinize the specs, you'll find some units have terrible EER sometimes undercutting the 9.8 minimum that applies to window ACs.

"the US" is too broad and I think the better question is if they're gaining popularity in high power cost regions. Various islands, CA and HI have power costs right along side Japan's rates. Keeping the entire home centrally cooled is probably too expensive in many of those places.

Post Likes
    Would "chilled beam" cooling be effective in areas with high power costs (e.g., CA, HI)? I hear it works well in Europe.

Post Likes
    The article says that once this factory is open, they will close some of their other factories and that there will be no net increase in jobs. Also, I don't think they are entirely going "all-in" with mini-splits. They will continue to make plenty of old American-type units for the foreseeable future.

Post Likes
    The project has grown to upwards of $500 million now. First and foremost, Daikin will be continue to make their forced air systems from this plant (including Goodman and Amana) but will eventually move some of their ductless production to this plant as well. It's 4 million square feet under roof and also contains their logistics center (already being used). Only 1 manufacturing plant in the US is larger and its Boeing.

I can't remember the actual land mass that was purchased for this building but their is plenty of room for further expansion as they bring more and more to the US.

I can't wait to get a tour of the place...hopefully in the next few months...
    I need a new signature.....

Post Likes
    Looking around here, not sure how much straight minis are growing BUT VRF sure is. Got some good salespeople putting the technology everywhere! Our new fire station has it, a local car dealer is putting it on all of their new buildings. A huge multiuse building down the street I thought would be on a small district chiller plant turned out to be VRF.

Good to see Daikin committed to US production. The other Japanese owned brand has 3 closed plants in the US and little in the remaining one.

Post Likes
    Got a new system releasing next year that will run your forced air coil and up to 10 ductless heads on the same outdoor unit...

Can't wait to start getting the specifics on that pig...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by I_bend_metal View Post
    Got a new system releasing next year that will run your forced air coil and up to 10 ductless heads on the same outdoor unit...

Can't wait to start getting the specifics on that pig...
    Might be nice if you'd send some details.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Post Likes
    I'm putting in several 5 ton lg multimax units in a local plant here.
    I didn't even try hard to sell them once I got their heads off of forced air (supervisor offices broken up throughout the plant)
    Even got some resi leads from the first one I'm not even finished with yet.
    It's only a matter of time before we're like Europe
    Member of the "Work Exchange Program"
    "Will work for knowledge"

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"
    A Einstein

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jrbenny View Post
    Might be nice if you'd send some details.
    That's all I know...lol

Press release went out about a month ago