Post Likes

Industry Standard Start Time / Getting guys on the job on time

I recently started working in the HVAC/Plumbing industry in Operations in the office and I'm looking to get some input on what other companies do to get installers and techs onsite by 8 o'clock. Is 8 o'clock the industry standard? I'm going to try working on having them plan ahead and get ready the night before and go straight to the job rather than coming to the home warehouse everyday. Some days they don't get out of here until 9 o'clock, which doesn't get them on the job until 9:30 or so. Are there any incentives or penalties that are standard? We have a total crew of 25 and I'd just like to get things flowing a littler better around here with start times. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Post Likes
    Start the installers at 7 AM or hire runners and warehouse personnel that can take them their needed equipment and materials. They can then be sent to the job at 8 to get started on the equipment removal. Warehouse staff would start at 7.

How are your techs dispatched? We have computers in each truck and they go to their first call from their house. If any parts are needed your warehouse runners can take them whats needed.
    If people only focused on the important things in life there would be a shortage of fishing poles.

3. Likes laker09 liked this post
    Post Likes
    We do a lot of work with big and small shops across the US and Canada. Probably worked with 650+ companies. I'd say at least 2/3 of them have guys coming into the office between 6 and 6:45 once or twice each week for meetings. Very often they've got a first call at 8 or 8:30. We've seen some effective commission/bonus upside attached to regular performance. Can't say that we've seen too many punishments that are effective. Another common theme we see in effective businesses is the practice of getting good data into the hands of the techs and ops personnel throughout the day and and days' end - sometimes it's software, sometimes is simple email/txt, but it's always repeatable, predictable process. "People expect what you inspect" - or - show them that you're watching...see what happens. Good luck!

5. Likes laker09 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Two things...

1) Make sure each tech knows what is expected of them. Our business hours are from 7am-4pm, it is spelled out pretty well that we have a 7am start time unless otherwise stated on a job by job basis. Techs are given call time, location, nature of the call, contact info, and a list of any needed parts or equipment and where that equipment is on order.

2) Instal GPS on the trucks.

Problem solved.

7. Likes laker09 liked this post