year Old Payne Coil split

Hello, I had a professional company install a new 4 ton Payne unit last April (2007). I have a heat pump in my house. Wednesday night it stopped cooling so I called another company because they were able to fit me in their schedule yesterday. The repair tech inspected the unit and the coil is leaking badly in 2 places. He used some device and you could visually see the cracks on the inner side the unit is a double coil unit. What warranty does this unit have ? The Tech called the manufacturer and they told him based on the serila # that the coil was covered but what about the cost to replace it and the freon gas etc ?

IF the coil is warranted should it cover the labor cost to repair and the gas ? Please Respond. The original installer did not give us any warranty paper when installed. We do however have a company statement that has the serial number and the cost as the PAID receipt.

Help what should I do ?

any labor warranty would be by the original installer unless you purchased any kind of extended warranty.

manufacturers warranty will provide the part only, you are responsible for shipping, freon recovery, drier and any other parts needed to do the job, refrigerant and labor.

Yep t527ed said it perfectly.All thats going to be covered is the coil.

I think you can still purchase a labor warranty with your contractor but they have to be a payne dealer to purchase the payne labor warranty. I am a payne dealer and believe me it is worth getting the labor warranty. Like others said coil under warranty labor is not. Get the labor warranty if you still can. I have sold the warranties for payne once or twice with system being less than a year old. I think you have to get from contractor who installed it.

Thanks for the replies. I should have known better than buy based on price. Being a business owner I know usually what happens when someone goes for price. The original co seemed to have a good reputation. I had one other dealing with them before the 1 year warranty ran out and there were unprofessional and just plain rude. That's why I chose someone else this time. next time I will buy a quality part from a reputable contractor and no bottom level unit like Payne either. Live and learn I guess. Thanks for all the replies. In this case the warranty would have served its purpose but I generally won't buy them as they are basically insurance with the highest profit margin legal. Now I believe in insurance but if you knew what companies generally made on extended warranties you would know on average they are a poor financial decision. Again, thanks for the replies

Quote Originally Posted by Racegoer View Post
    next time I will buy a quality part from a reputable contractor
    good thinking

Thanks for the replies. I should have known better than buy based on price. Being a business owner I know usually what happens when someone goes for price. The original co seemed to have a good reputation. I had one other dealing with them before the 1 year warranty ran out and there were unprofessional and just plain rude. That's why I chose someone else this time. next time I will buy a quality part from a reputable contractor and no bottom level unit like Payne either. Live and learn I guess. Thanks for all the replies. In this case the warranty would have served its purpose but I generally won't buy them as they are basically insurance with the highest profit margin legal. Now I believe in insurance but if you knew what companies generally made on extended warranties you would know on average they are a poor financial decision. Again, thanks for the replies
    There are times when the distributor can allow a few hours labor for you. If the installing dealer won't honor his 1 year labor commitment and you have to have another co. do the work the dist. can help. Contact the distributor and explain the situation to the service manager. I have done this for customers on several occasions. As for the cost of an extended warranty it should be very reasonable, not like those for say a tv or car. We sell them quite often and our dealers do not add any additional cost to what we charge them, which is only a small % above our cost.
    I just re=read your post and if it was installed in April 2007 you are beyond the 1 year labor and yes, you probably will have to pay for everything except the coil. But I would still contact the dist. and see if they can help.
    Last edited by woody19; 09-08-2008 at 10:06 AM.

next time I will buy a quality part from a reputable contractor and no bottom level unit like Payne either.
    The way I understand it is, Payne is basically a Carrier without the big blue oval.

Thanks for the replies, Carrier aka Payne said NO coverage like I figured. Like you pro's know 1 year for the labor, freon more time coverage for the part. ended up costing me abour $630 with a service call and return to install coil and fill with gas. It never hurts to try, thanks for all the info.

Quote Originally Posted by ECIndHVAC View Post
    The way I understand it is, Payne is basically a Carrier without the big blue oval.
    They are swinging over to ICP now.

Maineac

FYI
    Payne and their local distributor in my area are terrible to work with. I had a DOA cond. unit on startup for a condo project I did and had to wait an entire cooling season for a replacement coil. In the meantime I had to buy a new cond. unit to get the job done. When the coil finally arrived and we replaced the bad one I had to fight for the coil credit and never got compensation for labor, parts and refrigerant. I was told that Carrier would not have been any better. Once the current project is done I'm going to try York !

Quote Originally Posted by ECIndHVAC View Post
    Carrie/Bryant/Payne, same parts, different paint.

The poster did say it was over a year old in which case even big buck dealers would not have covered labor/freon, etc. This is standard practice in the industry unless you purchase extended warranty. Some very good warranty prices from Carrier, but how dealer marks it up varies. Like someone else here mentioned, you can still purchase an extended warranty AFTER this repair through a carrier/bryant/payne dealer.