Thread: Help with a New Trane install

Post Likes

Help with a New Trane install

First off i live in Fla and i have a 3200 sf home about 14 years old that has 2 zones. I had a Trane rep come to my home and advised me that i need to have my old American Standard replaced with a Trane XLI 19I 5 ton condenser and a 2tee3c65a 5 ton v/s communicating air handler. He told me this unit would be better and cheaper than going with 2 units because of the 2 compressor system in the XLI 19I.
    When the installers arrived they informed me that the current zone system was not compatible with the new system. The owner brought a Honeywell EMM-3U universal minizone panel and 4 dampers at no charge since they should of noticed that it was not compatible during the quote process.
    Here comes the bad part. I was quoted a price for the condenser,air handler,2 XL900 thermostats,and new refrigerant piping. After they installed the thermostats i had noticed they were XL800 not the communicating XL900. When i told him that they were the wrong ones he told me that they could not use the XL900 thermostats because they were not compatible with the Honeywell zone system. Is this true? I can not see the the reason to have a condenser and a air handler that are supposed to communicate with each other if you can not have the thermostat that is to communicate also.
    They did not replace my lines and to top it off they installed a 2tee3f65a non communicating air handler. Can anyone help me with the thermostat issue or if it will harm the unit by not having the lines replaced?
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by infin; 09-04-2008 at 09:31 PM. Reason: spelling

Post Likes
    If the lines are the right size it won't hurt.
    And no, the EMM-3U can't use the communicating stats.

Sorry, but you should have got other estimates too.

He was a smooth talking salesman though, huh.

Post Likes
    the trane communicating system will not work with any zone system

trane does not yet have thier own zone system that works with the communicating system either.

its not a bad thing. have installed many 19i systems here with zone systems and have to work without the communicating part of the system. if system was installed and set up properly the will be no difference in how it operates and keeps you comfortable

the communicating thermostats will not work with the honeywell zone system but you have got one nice zone system, if i were to install one in my home with a 19i and those 800 t-stats aren't anything to laugh at either my favorite thermostat to use and sell.

and there shouldn't be any problems with using the existing line set either

seems to me that the salesman misunderstood the system he sold you and they did a good job of getting it straightend out

P.S. purchase 10yr P&L
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Post Likes
    Thank you for the responce. Is it a big deal to not have the XL900 communicating stat? Is the Xl900 a much better stat? And last is it a waste of money to purchase the comunicating condenser and air handler and not be able to use the communicating thermostat? Do you have any suggestions?
    Thanks again!!

Post Likes
    Beach, check out the W8835 communicating zoning panel. It can uses the IAQ stats.

Still not able to communicate with the 19i, but has some real nice features.

OP: Your still getting the operating benefits of a 50/100% staged system.
    Trane only came out recently with the communication system. So lots of people have been using 19is without the 900 stat. And getting teh comfort they paid for.

Post Likes
    Is the EMM-3U 2 stage compatible? Personally I'd rather have the True Zone 432 panel for that.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in