Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    That quick charger, isn't designed to have 200 plus PSIG liquid feeding into it.

It will over feed.

Cut the system open, and install a LLFD the proper way.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I'm really curious as to what you are trying to do.

Is there some contaminant that you are trying to filter out of the system or is it just to ensure that there is no moisture?

I'm really curious as to what you are trying to do.

Is there some contaminant that you are trying to filter out of the system or is it just to ensure that there is no moisture?

I know that you said not to ask "why," but I can't help myself.

In all honesty, why do you want to do this? You didn't say anything about the unit having problems or not operating properly.

The unit has been running for 15 years without a drier, why does it need one now?

For what it is worth, if it needs a drier, pump it down and install one. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

As long as you're not dumping liquid into the compressor, and as long as your pressures aren't way out of wack, I really can't see any reason why this wouldn't work. Even though you have a "vaporizer", I'd still be inclined to heed beenthere's advice. His responses are brutally concise, but always seem to hit the nail right on the head.

But if you really do want to experiment (and what's the worst that can happen, you'll need to replace your unit. Hell with it, it's old anyway, and if it works, think of what you stand to gain) the way I'd do it would be like this: Right off the hi side port, put your drier. Then the vaporizer. Then into the suction line. (I tend to believe that driers can catch stuff better when the refer is in liquid form, but I could be wrong. Boss swears by suction driers and says liquid driers make as much sense as "putting air filters over the supply registers").

Godspeed amigo

Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by havactech View Post
    Won't happen. I have an Imperial Qwik Charge adapter. I will have it on the manifold suction side. So the liquid will enter through the drier and then pass through to the suction side if this will work in theory or not?

I plan on doing it over a course of a few weeks, a few hours at a time. I will not leave it connected that way untended.

Either way I can't get a definitive answer to this thread, so I will have to just try it!!
    let us know the results

What brand of unit, lots of manufacturers install a filter drier inside the unit, and it often doesn't look like the typical LL filter drier...
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

My R22 system is about 15 years old. It has no filter drier on the liquid line. Nor anywhere else on the system

What I would like to do is just run the system R22 refrigerant through a drier that is looped onto my manifold gauge.
    I don't see any benefit in this if the system has run this way for 15 years and you don't have a problem with the system.

Where should I put the drier? On the High side or Low side of the manifold gauge
    Either side will work if you have a reasonably sized filter-drier. You can get by with a smaller filter-drier if you put it on the liquid side of the manifold gauge.

I will have a fitting on the low side of the manifold that will change the liquid to vapor. I am sure you have seen them. Imperial sells one called Qwik Charge.
    Refrigerant will change from liquid to vapor given a pressure drop AND heat exchange. If you cannot flash the refrigerant thru the evaporator, you will flood the compressor in the time necessary for the filter-drier to do any good. But then your system is 15 years old. If you crap out your compressor with this amusement, you really needed a new system anyway.

Won't happen. I have an Imperial Qwik Charge adapter. I will have it on the manifold suction side. So the liquid will enter through the drier and then pass through to the suction side if this will work in theory or not?

I plan on doing it over a course of a few weeks, a few hours at a time. I will not leave it connected that way untended.

Either way I can't get a definitive answer to this thread, so I will have to just try it!!
    Why mess with it for a couple of weeks? Pump it down, put a drier in it, evacuate it and be done with it. All of what, an hour and a half?

Quote Originally Posted by aircooled53 View Post
    He can't even spell right look at his name.

Havactech?

Need to pump down system; cut liquid line and install L.L. Drier , purge with nitrogen while soldering then vacuum system , and recharge according to plate on unit.
    maybe he meant "havoc tech". causing havoc on systems all over town.

wow!! this is the dumbest thing ive seen yet. if you were a service tech working for me i would fire you just for thinking this is ok. (1) you are lazy. pumping the system down installing a drier flared or brazed then pulling a deep vac. only takes an hour or so- verses the couple hrs a day you are proposing to spend for the next few weeks metering small amounts of refrigerant through a make-shift "filtering" loop. (2) its a fifteen year old system that has run fine for fifteen years with out you screwing with it, what is it you are trying to accomplish? other than finding out if your gadget really meters refrigerant effectively. a couple hrs here or there will do nothing but clean a fraction of the nothing that is in the system that has not had issues (at least none that you have mentioned). (3)find a contractor that you trust and pay them to put in a new system or install a filter drier since you are not motivated to do it the right way.

You called people who replied to your post "stupid and uneducated", I'm sorry dude. But that about hits the nail on your head. Anybody who would try this is both stupid for trying this and uneducated for trying something that is first completely unnecessary and second half arse as heck. Obviously you know nothing, otherwise you wouldn't come onto this forum to ask this question. People who actually do this for a living and have various amounts of education are telling you not to do it, so I guess that makes everybody on in a forum who discusses this everyday know nothing and somebody asking a question such as yourself, a genius.

beenthere, I did not think of that at all thanks for the advice. Is there a way to do this with a recovery unit? Might take way too long with a recovery unit and recovery tank.

I am eventually going to put in a LLFD. The system has had a very very slow leak about 6oz out of 18 pounds a year, for the last 4 years.

I just started getting into HVAC and want to treat the refrigerant now then eventually evacuate it and fix the leak.

Once I do that I will pressure test the system and try to find the leak if at all possible.

I was curious to see if this could be done a different way, without opening the system right now. It looks like I won't be able to do that.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast