Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Creating a Filter Drier Loop Question

My R22 system is about 15 years old. It has no filter drier on the liquid line. Nor anywhere else on the system

What I would like to do is just run the system R22 refrigerant through a drier that is looped onto my manifold gauge.

Where should I put the drier? On the High side or Low side of the manifold gauge? I would think the Hi side because that is where the drier normally goes on the system. This is however a bit different since it will loop through the manifold so not sure where it will be best to locate it. I will have a fitting on the low side of the manifold that will change the liquid to vapor. I am sure you have seen them. Imperial sells one called Qwik Charge.

I know there will be questions like "WHY NOT" just put one inline on the unit now. I don't want to open the system to put one on for one thing. And for those who are going to say "WHY DO YOU WANT TO DO THIS" please don't. If that is the only input you can deliver on this question please don't bother to reply to it.

I appreciate your cooperation and thanks you.

Whats for dinner? MEATBALLS!

LOL...

But why would you think doing this is a good idea.

Your not going to clean anything out of your system by doing it.

Filter driers don't clean or dry systems in just a few minutes, or hours.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Why do you want to do this?

Is this a heat pump? Reason I ask is that most straight AC units usually only have one access valve on the liquid and suction lines. So there wouldn't really be any way to "loop" the dryer, right? But if it were a heat pump, then you could loop a bi-flow drier between the two high side access valves...I think...

Problem is, I guess only half of the refrigerant would go through the dryer on each pass (the other half would go through the regular piping). But, oddly enough, this does seem like a really good idea. That way, a tech could just go out and slap on a dryer for maybe a month or two, and then just take it off, without having to recover, braze, recharge, etc. Let me know how it works out.

Thumbs down DIY Or Rookie tech.

He can't even spell right look at his name.

Havactech?

Need to pump down system; cut liquid line and install L.L. Drier , purge with nitrogen while soldering then vacuum system , and recharge according to plate on unit.
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

Think how many service calls you could get.
    When people cut the hoses with their weed wackers. LOL

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Are you HUFFING???? Why do you want to do this???

free entertainment

i was having a crappy day until i read this post Thank you "beenthere" i blew milk out my nose over the weed-wacking comment LOL !!!

I purposely chose that name. I should have expected a reaction like this because that is how most people are stupid and uneducated!!

For the one and only one person who properly replied thanks.

This is not a heat pump. It is a residential R22 system with two access ports one on the suction side and one on the Hi side.

Your saying that liquid from the hi side will not loop back into the vapor (suction side)? Because if it will then it should work correct?

I would connect it to the Hi side of the manifold? I asked this same question to an Engineer at Appion and he said rather than connecting a direr filter inline to the recovery system just loop it with the manifold and leave the recovery equipment out of the equation.

LOL, I love my resi friends for stories like these.

the unit has ran 15 years with out one i would leave it as is . if you do as you propose you will dump liquid at high preasure into the suction line and very likely damage your compressor

Won't happen. I have an Imperial Qwik Charge adapter. I will have it on the manifold suction side. So the liquid will enter through the drier and then pass through to the suction side if this will work in theory or not?

I plan on doing it over a course of a few weeks, a few hours at a time. I will not leave it connected that way untended.

Either way I can't get a definitive answer to this thread, so I will have to just try it!!

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast