Seer 16 Worth it - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Gary - If it produces heat in the mid 90's, Is that sufficient to heat a home ( I am assuming it must be) how is the comfort feel with this.

As the outside ambient drops - does it maintain 90's untill it requires the backup or will it just get cooler and cooler until its no longer bearable and you need the backup heat? Do you follow my question?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by doogan123 View Post
    Gary - If it produces heat in the mid 90's, Is that sufficient to heat a home ( I am assuming it must be) how is the comfort feel with this.

As the outside ambient drops - does it maintain 90's untill it requires the backup or will it just get cooler and cooler until its no longer bearable and you need the backup heat? Do you follow my question?

thanks
    I just wanted to make you aware of the difference in output temps between a furnace and heat pump. It can be a big deal for some folks going from a furnace to a heat pump.

The heat pump will heat the home up until the "balance point" which is an ambient temp of around 32F or so. Balance point depends on many things including house construction, heat pump btu ouput, indoor setpoint, etc. Below the balance point, your supplimental/auxillary takes over from the heat pump. My balance point is mid 20's.

Here are the supply air temps of my 3-ton 14 SEER heat pump based on ambient temps:

Ambient--------Supply air temp
    Temp ----------after indoor coil

65F---------------108F
    55F---------------103.7
    45F----------------99.1
    35F----------------95
    25F----------------91.6
    15F----------------88.1
    5F-----------------84.4

Note that supply air temp is after the indoor coil and not at the vents. The supply air temp is based on a return air temp of 70F.

Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by doogan123 View Post
    ... how is the comfort feel with this. ....
    68 degrees in your home is 68 degrees regardless of heating method. The difference is the temp at the register. With a furnace, the register feels hot because it's hotter than your skin. With a heat pump, the register would feel relatively cool because it's likely colder air than your 98 degree skin, and given the air flow coming from it you probably wouldn't even want to be right near it because it might feel like a draft. House still gets warm though.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123