Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Seer 16 Worth it

Hello again

I have started to now zero in on the pricing i am getting for my AC system and spoke today with my HVAC guy. He is proposing a seer 16 system due to the higher efficiency. I am all for efficiency, however the price difference over Seer 14 was significant.

I am doing a full remodel, Tight construction, 2*6, cellulose insulation, high efficiency budarus Propane boiler, Hydro system.

I a sure you know the pricing difference as i cannot post them,

I know this is rather general - but Is it worth paying the extra $$$$$$

thanks

16 SEER

Probably not in New York. It would be in the deep south.
    Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it.

For cooling only, I agree with mr. big. However; you may want to think about having a high efficiency heat pump installed to counter the cost of LP. That way you could choose which fuel to use to heat your home depending on which becomes more costly.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

For AC only, unless it's a 2-stage unit, it's not worth it. On the other hand, if it's a 2-stage/16-series unit then it will provide significant comfort improvements over the 14-Series system. Notice I use the term "Series" in place of SEER. That's because it's unlikely either system will actually deliver the nominal "group" rating of the series the intalling company is calling "SEER". Ask for an ARI certificate for each of the systems and you'll see what the actual ratings are for the combination of condenser/coil/blower. But why spend money on AC? Why not upgrade to a heat pump and get the benefit of knocking down your fossil fuel bill during the warmer nights and days (temps 35^F and above). That turns your expenditure for AC into a nice little investment that will return dollars to you year after year. The price difference shouldn't be too dramatic and the results are very pleasing. If you do take the suggestion and go for the HP, I'd recommend the highest efficiency you can get in that case.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    With changes or even without,be sure to get a load calculation,so the equipment is sized right.With the future cost of utilities,High SEER ,two stage ,heat pump might be worth looking at.

Where will the ducts be located for the A/C?
    Last edited by dash; 09-03-2008 at 08:47 PM.

Hi
    thanks for the replies - I have explored the Heat pump option in my area and there are not many people overly familiar with installing them here. People seem to feel that they do not work in the climate here... etc etc etc... . I am not sure that this is true, however i am not comfortable pushing a HVAC guy to do something that he un unfamiliar with.

DASH - To answer your question - The ducts are in the attic and basement. Both insulated

So i guess what you guys are tellin me is that 16 seer - not really worth it - its adds a lot of $$$ to the cost.

thanks

According to this. http://www.wunderground.com/weathers...7&yearend=2008

You had a lot of weather that would be good for using a heat pump, with a hydro aux heat source last year.

You may want to make some more phone calls asking about heat pumps.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

As far as 16 SEER.
    Depends what your comfort is worth to you.

2 stage isn't for everybody.

Get the best you can afford, afford the what you get.
    Contractor locator map

Based upon proper equipment selection a lesser efficient 2 stage system gives better overall control than a higher efficiency single stage system. The 17 SEER series* Infinity product as an example; there are others.

* not all systems in this series will be 17 SEER

I'm having trouble understanding why someone who comes to experts for advice is so willing to toss the best advice because they haven't found a contractor who is comfortable with heat pumps. Sounds like a good area for a heat pump oriented company to set up shop in.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    I'm having trouble understanding why someone who comes to experts for advice is so willing to toss the best advice because they haven't found a contractor who is comfortable with heat pumps.
    Robo - with all due respect -I am not sure that your first comment is warrented.

I am not looking to Toss the excellent advice i am getting here , I am getting more education on what direction to go with my HVAC system here than speaking to any installer directly- and its greatly appreciated!

The frustating part is that I am in an area where every HVAC person i call tells me that they do not recommend Heat pumps, whether its because they have a monopoly, or whether its the lack of education, does not mean i am tossing advice. I am not a professional where i can design a heatpump system. I have spent the morning reading on heatpumps yet again, and as a result of BEENTHERE's earlier post am going to call around once more to see if I can get someone to price out a hybrid system for me.

I recently got a final price on propane w/a seer 16 variable speed AC and to be honest it was much more than i had anticipated.

To ask a question - Can I get a Heatpump installed, hydro-air, using a Propane furnace as a backup?.

Percentage wise - how much more is the initial installation in your opinion? ( assuming averages)

thanks

If you cannot get a contractor to work with you on a hybrid system, why not call your chosen manufacturer and ask them for a referrel, or maybe even ask around here? you may be surprised to learn that A lot of companies can handle your needs, and may not be listed in your local phone book. You could even call your local supplier and ask them for a referrel. Take for example York, I am sure someone there knows of a contractor who can do your work. I get oddball referrels all of the time from supply house because they know we like to do the unusual, high tech type stuff, and do good work.

Quote Originally Posted by doogan123 View Post

To ask a question - Can I get a Heatpump installed, hydro-air, using a Propane furnace as a backup?.

Percentage wise - how much more is the initial installation in your opinion? ( assuming averages)

thanks
    A HP, with hydronic coil from a boiler, plus a LP furnace?

It can be done but would be expensive.

A HP with a air handler, with a hydronic coil would be less up front, and provide you with better savings.
    Contractor locator map

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast