Long run/Long off times with a/c

I replaced my thermostat a couple of months ago(honeywell round digital) with a Hunter non-set back thermostat and with central air I'm experiencing long (mostly 1-1/2 hr. on and similar off times) run and off cycles.

I don't remember having this with the old thermostat. It use to run approx. 30 minutes on and similar off cycles. The a/c unit is running great putting out cold temps. 2 1/2 ton unit but it seems to get very umcomfortable when running and then the long "stuffy" off period.

I tried replacing it with another of the same type and no difference in performance. I do have it set with the 1 degree variance instead of 2.

Any ideas would be appreciated

p.s. I usually keep the setting at 75-76 degrees during the day.

The Hunter HALLMARK wide temperature swings.

The T-stat is appropriately named. It's always "Hunting" for the proper temperature. IMO, you wasted your money on a 'wannabe' stat. Purchase a high quality stat from a pro and have him/her install it. You get greater comfort, save on operating expenses and get a full warranty. Best part is, it actually does what it's supposed to do. Never have understood DIY on systems people know little or nothing about. Too bad. Money wasted.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Agreed; Hunter is certainly not the best when it comes to HVAC controls. Many of us pros have made good money remedying the problems that Hunter can cause.

Just so you know, it does get worse with a Hunter stat.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by formzy View Post
    I replaced my thermostat a couple of months ago(honeywell round digital) with a Hunter non-set back thermostat and with central air I'm experiencing long (mostly 1-1/2 hr. on and similar off times) run and off cycles.

I don't remember having this with the old thermostat. It use to run approx. 30 minutes on and similar off cycles. The a/c unit is running great putting out cold temps. 2 1/2 ton unit but it seems to get very umcomfortable when running and then the long "stuffy" off period.

I tried replacing it with another of the same type and no difference in performance. I do have it set with the 1 degree variance instead of 2.

Any ideas would be appreciated

p.s. I usually keep the setting at 75-76 degrees during the day.
    So now you have wasted your money twice...get it over with and call in a pro...we can not offer diy advice on the site.