Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hallowell Heat pumps does anyone have that system

Post Likes

Hallowell Heat pumps does anyone have that system

I am in the process of upgrading my heating system. I currently have an oil fired hot air system...with central air. I looked into upgrading to a boiler with two exchangers to zone my house along with two heat pumps in a hybrid system.
    I am also getting prices on a propane hybrid system as well though the bids are slow coming back.
    So... after all of this I come back to Hallowell again... it does seem too good to be true.. so I really would appreciate it if someone out there has their system if they would give me some input.
    Thanks all
    Last edited by Rsj6667; 09-03-2008 at 03:56 PM.

Post Likes
    First off, please edit out your prices, its not allowed, I've never heard of hallowell, someone will chime in that has experience with them.

Post Likes
    Do a site search on "Acadia" or "Hallowell" or "Cold Climate Heat Pump".

Post Likes

acadia in the north east

I am a cheap--er , thrifty guy. I heat my house with a pellet stove most of the winter. After going to the acadia class.... I just sold my propane furnace and a/c . I also sold my new pellet furnace, never installed and only bought in april. The 3 ton acadia system will be picked up in a few days. Call me crazy, but when the tech specs say that a heat pump IN NH will cost LESS to heat my house than pellets I have to change..
    BONUS............
    The electric company will give me a discounted rate on the heatpump if I keep the pellet stove upstairs, 24% off the full year usage a/c and heat.
    Strip heat doesn't have to come on till 0' f..
    I will answer any question about my install and keep updates as the winter cold arrives.

Post Likes
    Lord Icon, can you describe what the Acadia "class" is. Do they hold such a thing at Hallowell? I just orderd a unit and I live in Northern Nevada. I'm right there with you. We have nothing but propane where we are (ranch) and this looks like the obvious no-brainer solution.

Post Likes
    I have one in my new home that was installed 3 weeks ago......I really like it so far but this winter will be the true test...

Ottawa, Canada

Post Likes
    I just want to hear what people think this winter.

Post Likes
    Not sure of the Validity of this link - but interesting history. I wish that they were a year or 2 older as if they prove to be viable - I would love to install one

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_a_Hallowell_heat_pump

thanks

Post Likes
    This is their third winter and they have 2,000 installed at a military base. Agree not much owner history. Mine will arrive in a week and will be tested this winter. I am keep my existing carrier unit and installing the Acadia side by side. No reason to pull out the old unit and I can run it off my generator if needed. Propane costs are too out of control not to try this system out. I'm in No. nevada so we get about 6 months of below freezing weather. It will be a good test....but we only get below zero a few times. It won't be long until I pipe up!

Post Likes

Acadia Installed

So far so good! The Acadia was cranking out 104 degrees at 24 degrees outside. You can see in the pic where the air handler was installed and plumbed over my existing propane furnace so I have two systems. The propane furnace can operate on my generator. It is a matter of pulling out one baffle to block the air intake for either unit.

The real test is when I get my electric bill! I will report in a few months as they come in. So far I am impressed with the unit....the construction is top notch.....from finish to the heft. They did not cut any corners.

Post Likes
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the gas shut-off supposed to be mounted on the pipe before the sediment trap?

Not as lean, not as mean, but I'm still a hardcore, ass-kicking, hard charging Marine! Oohrah!

Post Likes
    Not sure but the two units are unrelated. The vertical trap line comes out of the Acadia air handler and the gas line is for the propane furnace unit. I only run the Acadia unit. The also connects to the propane furnace. Do I have a safety issue here or ?

Post Likes
    Why is there a filter drier in the vapor line. Is it bi directional, I hope so.
    So you don't need the humidifier with the Arcaisia?
    The gas shut off is suppose to be before the drip leg.

Post Likes
    That's is a bi directional drier that came with the Acadia unit. Humidifier is not required. I'll see how it works without. I can't really figure out the benefit of one at this point.

I still don't get the gas line question when the gas has to do with the old unit. What am I missing here? I'm not even sure what before means in this case. If you look at the floor the drip leg looks to be before the gas shut off in the propane furnace.

Post Likes
    Its not that it has anything to do with the heat pump install its self.

Its just that its not right.

Post Likes
    We've taken the class on the Acadia and it definitely has it's place in the industry. But I don't recommend it to my clients. There's a calculator on their website that you can use to plug in your own estimates of costs for oil, gas, propane, electricity and it will tell you how much you can save. In our area, it's about 41% less than oil. Here's the rub in the middle climates. There is 10KW of 2-stage electric heat in the standard unit. 2KW is used as 2nd stage heat, beginning at about 25^F. As the OAT gets colder, the 3rd stage is the "Booster Compressor" and 4th stage is the full 10KW 2nd stage strip heater. So above 25^F, it's a basic HP. From 25^F down to about 15^F, it's a basic HP with 2KW of strip heat. It isn't until the OAT gets really cold that the 3rd stage "booster compressor" kicks in and uses its hot gas discharge to mix with the low side vapor of the primary compressor. That's when the delivery temp spikes up higher, the total capacity of the system goes above nominal rating and it is NOT a basic HP anymore.

So for those who live in areas that see frequent temps below 15^F and want to eliminate fossil fuel from you heating diet, it's a great piece of machinery. For those who live in temperate climates where the OAT is seldom below 25^F, it's a regular HP. For those who would like to wein themselves off fossil fuels and operating cost is not the driving issue, it's also a good way to go. But for those who live in areas where the OAT in winter is between 15-25^F, the savings isn't as dramatic as it would seem. So it really depends on the motivation of the client and the climate of the installation as to what makes the most sense for people. In our climate, I can't in good conscience suggest that people spend the extra money for the unit. I can save them the same amount of money with a higher efficiency (the Acadia is rated 14-SEER) standard air-to-air HP used as a dual fuel system.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Post Likes
    Very informative and logical. I fall into the more sever weather category (5,500 feet in Northern Nevada). What is interesting the cost to retro my carrier system with a heat pump exceeded that of the new Acadia system! I could have gone with a new hybrid system for about the same cost of the Acadia yet I would lose the cold weather application and still have to use propane which I want to avoid, due to the unregulated status and spikes in cost due as a result of being a petroleum bi-product.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by skippedover View Post
    We've taken the class on the Acadia and it definitely has it's place in the industry. But I don't recommend it to my clients. There's a calculator on their website that you can use to plug in your own estimates of costs for oil, gas, propane, electricity and it will tell you how much you can save. In our area, it's about 41% less than oil. Here's the rub in the middle climates. There is 10KW of 2-stage electric heat in the standard unit. 2KW is used as 2nd stage heat, beginning at about 25^F. As the OAT gets colder, the 3rd stage is the "Booster Compressor" and 4th stage is the full 10KW 2nd stage strip heater. So above 25^F, it's a basic HP. From 25^F down to about 15^F, it's a basic HP with 2KW of strip heat. It isn't until the OAT gets really cold that the 3rd stage "booster compressor" kicks in and uses its hot gas discharge to mix with the low side vapor of the primary compressor. That's when the delivery temp spikes up higher, the total capacity of the system goes above nominal rating and it is NOT a basic HP anymore.

So for those who live in areas that see frequent temps below 15^F and want to eliminate fossil fuel from you heating diet, it's a great piece of machinery. For those who live in temperate climates where the OAT is seldom below 25^F, it's a regular HP. For those who would like to wein themselves off fossil fuels and operating cost is not the driving issue, it's also a good way to go. But for those who live in areas where the OAT in winter is between 15-25^F, the savings isn't as dramatic as it would seem. So it really depends on the motivation of the client and the climate of the installation as to what makes the most sense for people. In our climate, I can't in good conscience suggest that people spend the extra money for the unit. I can save them the same amount of money with a higher efficiency (the Acadia is rated 14-SEER) standard air-to-air HP used as a dual fuel system.
    Excellent post.

Would be interesting to see break-even comparisons with varying assumptions of fossil fuel prices. Recent pull backs in fossil fuel prices, which trickle in to electricity rates for many folks, may keep people from "high tech" solutions. However, I think it's safe to assume fossil fuel AND elec rates go higher over time, perhaps faster than overall inflation....so the more one can reduce their need for energy in general (ie, lower operating costs)....the better. But it sure becomes a tougher sell as energy prices recede.

Post Likes

NICE! I'm taking the class Wednesday, so this is good to see!

Post Likes
    There is 10KW of 2-stage electric heat in the standard unit. 2KW is used as 2nd stage heat, beginning at about 25^F. As the OAT gets colder, the 3rd stage is the "Booster Compressor" and 4th stage is the full 10KW 2nd stage strip heater.
    Hmmm. Their test results sheet states "Recommended 1st stage resistance heat 4.8 kw". There's also a note at the bottom that says "Mode 4 is supplimented by 4.8 kw of staged resistance heat". Makes you think there is only 4.8 kw of strip heat. It must use the 10 kw strips when the unit goes into a defrost cycle.

http://www.gotohallowell.com/assets/...hrenheitLR.pdf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in