Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hallowell Heat pumps does anyone have that system

I am in the process of upgrading my heating system. I currently have an oil fired hot air system...with central air. I looked into upgrading to a boiler with two exchangers to zone my house along with two heat pumps in a hybrid system.
    I am also getting prices on a propane hybrid system as well though the bids are slow coming back.
    So... after all of this I come back to Hallowell again... it does seem too good to be true.. so I really would appreciate it if someone out there has their system if they would give me some input.
    Thanks all
    Last edited by Rsj6667; 09-03-2008 at 04:56 PM.

First off, please edit out your prices, its not allowed, I've never heard of hallowell, someone will chime in that has experience with them.

Do a site search on "Acadia" or "Hallowell" or "Cold Climate Heat Pump".

acadia in the north east

I am a cheap--er , thrifty guy. I heat my house with a pellet stove most of the winter. After going to the acadia class.... I just sold my propane furnace and a/c . I also sold my new pellet furnace, never installed and only bought in april. The 3 ton acadia system will be picked up in a few days. Call me crazy, but when the tech specs say that a heat pump IN NH will cost LESS to heat my house than pellets I have to change..
    BONUS............
    The electric company will give me a discounted rate on the heatpump if I keep the pellet stove upstairs, 24% off the full year usage a/c and heat.
    Strip heat doesn't have to come on till 0' f..
    I will answer any question about my install and keep updates as the winter cold arrives.

Lord Icon, can you describe what the Acadia "class" is. Do they hold such a thing at Hallowell? I just orderd a unit and I live in Northern Nevada. I'm right there with you. We have nothing but propane where we are (ranch) and this looks like the obvious no-brainer solution.

I have one in my new home that was installed 3 weeks ago......I really like it so far but this winter will be the true test...

Ottawa, Canada

I just want to hear what people think this winter.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Not sure of the Validity of this link - but interesting history. I wish that they were a year or 2 older as if they prove to be viable - I would love to install one

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_a_Hallowell_heat_pump

thanks

This is their third winter and they have 2,000 installed at a military base. Agree not much owner history. Mine will arrive in a week and will be tested this winter. I am keep my existing carrier unit and installing the Acadia side by side. No reason to pull out the old unit and I can run it off my generator if needed. Propane costs are too out of control not to try this system out. I'm in No. nevada so we get about 6 months of below freezing weather. It will be a good test....but we only get below zero a few times. It won't be long until I pipe up!

Acadia Installed

So far so good! The Acadia was cranking out 104 degrees at 24 degrees outside. You can see in the pic where the air handler was installed and plumbed over my existing propane furnace so I have two systems. The propane furnace can operate on my generator. It is a matter of pulling out one baffle to block the air intake for either unit.

The real test is when I get my electric bill! I will report in a few months as they come in. So far I am impressed with the unit....the construction is top notch.....from finish to the heft. They did not cut any corners.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the gas shut-off supposed to be mounted on the pipe before the sediment trap?

Not as lean, not as mean, but I'm still a hardcore, ass-kicking, hard charging Marine! Oohrah!

Not sure but the two units are unrelated. The vertical trap line comes out of the Acadia air handler and the gas line is for the propane furnace unit. I only run the Acadia unit. The also connects to the propane furnace. Do I have a safety issue here or ?

Why is there a filter drier in the vapor line. Is it bi directional, I hope so.
    So you don't need the humidifier with the Arcaisia?
    The gas shut off is suppose to be before the drip leg.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast