Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tempstar opinions????

In getting details from a prospective HVAC contractor he mentions he is a Tempstar dealer. They seem to have comparable products to the mainlines such as Trane, Bryant, etc.

Does anyone have any experience with Tempstar equipment? I will prolly have the TXT+ series heatpump. I was just curious to everyone's opinion on Tempstar in general.

Also I saw on furnacecompare.com that they require you to enroll in an annual maintenance program to qualify for the warranty. Seems like a scam to me (at least a hidden cost), anyone know if this is true?

Thanks in advance.

Tempstar's premium goodies are as good as anything else out there. If installed & sized right.

I haven't seen a warranty that forces you to have maintenance contract but they will not cover maintenance related failures and may request a history if they feel a repair shouldn't have happened if the unit was properly maintained.

Quote Originally Posted by memarcus View Post
    In getting details from a prospective HVAC contractor he mentions he is a Tempstar dealer. They seem to have comparable products to the mainlines such as Trane, Bryant, etc.

Does anyone have any experience with Tempstar equipment? I will prolly have the TXT+ series heatpump. I was just curious to everyone's opinion on Tempstar in general.

Also I saw on furnacecompare.com that they require you to enroll in an annual maintenance program to qualify for the warranty. Seems like a scam to me (at least a hidden cost), anyone know if this is true?

Thanks in advance.
    They are just covering their *ss on the warranty if you want the 10 year take if not stay with the five year and no service contract and call for service when you need it. I know some of the guys on here won't like what I said PM's are a lot of their business $.
    GO GREEN HEAT

Think of them as a Carrier clone. We have no experience with the H/P but the A/C, air handlers are respectable product.

Having proper maintenance performed by a reputable company would be the antithesis of a scam.

That whole required enrollment is a little decieving. We dont require it although we do strongly recommend it. with an investment of that size whats a couple hundred a year to maintain.

As far as brand. I will pick company over brand all day long. all equipment is built to run, just have different bells and whistles.
    The first man gets the pearl, All the second gets is the shell

Back in the 80's I was a Heil dealer, at that time Sears sold the Tempstar brand, which was identical. I have seen the new Tempstar line here at a local suppier, equipment looks nice looks very nice, and has a no hassle compressor warranty.

Is Heil and Tempstar one in the same ?

I'm still running my Heil "VILLAGER" 9 seer series 3 ton split, have only changed the start assist and run capacitor in the 20 years.

Warranty

All the "extended warranty's" I've sold require the homeowner to have a maintainence done once a year for heat and once a year for air cond.

Quote Originally Posted by BURL-REF View Post
    All the "extended warranty's" I've sold require the homeowner to have a maintainence done once a year for heat and once a year for air cond.
    As well they should.
    Owner
    All-American Air Conditioning
    Vero Beach, Florida

Tempstar & Comfortmaker get a slightly nicer outdoor cabinet on their premium units but otherwise they are the same as Arco & Heil. I think Sears uses the T* cabinet.

Quote Originally Posted by BURL-REF View Post
    Back in the 80's I was a Heil dealer, at that time Sears sold the Tempstar brand, which was identical. I have seen the new Tempstar line here at a local supplier, equipment looks nice looks very nice, and has a no hassle compressor warranty.

Is Heil and Tempstar one in the same ?

I'm still running my Heil "VILLAGER" 9 seer series 3 ton split, have only changed the start assist and run capacitor in the 20 years.
    Tempstar, Heil & Comfortmaker are near clones of each other.

There is nothing wrong with having a 9-SEER system, when properly installed they perform & cool very well. I would stay with it as long as possible.

I liked the 10 & 12-SEER units & wish the govt. had stayed out of our business. - Darrell

Thumbs up

I used to work for Carrier distribution and a Tempstar wholesaler. I like to call Tempstar- "Carrier Lite". Thats all it is really. You just don't have to pay as much because the big blue oval isn't on there. Tempstar fan coils are the exact same as basic Carrier fan coils as well as Payne. The Tempstar condensing units are made in Collierville, Tn. , same as Carrier, just a few lines over. I have been there on plant tour and have seen it myself. As far as warranty goes, Tempstar doesn't require you to do anything on the furnaces. The warranty is what comes with the unit. Right now I know Tempstar has no- hassle warranties and 10 year parts warranty special going on with all condensers.
    Tempstar is a really great product, we have put in a lot of systems in the last few years with very few issues. They are very quiet, tough, and dependable products. You will be well pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by udarrell View Post
    Tempstar, Heil & Comfortmaker are near clones of each other.

There is nothing wrong with having a 9-SEER system, when properly installed they perform & cool very well. I would stay with it as long as possible.

I liked the 10 & 12-SEER units & wish the govt. had stayed out of our business. - Darrell
    I agree with that for sure.

They have extended the warranty special untill at least the end of the year.

http://tempstar.com/

I own the Tempstar unit..I have the 2 stage Heat Pump 17 Seer T4H7 outdoor and the FVM4X 3 ton air handler. I have a zoned system with an EWC uzc4 zone board and 2 dampers. The outdoor unit is very quiet , so quiet that you can have a conversation leaning on the unit while it is running and do not even have to yell... its that quiet! Anyway, this combo actually gets a 16.5 seer rating and a 8.9 hspf rating as a matched set. It works very well for an AC unit and am hoping just the same for a HP. I am very pleased with the performance of this unit. The warranty expresses that yearly maintenance is to be performed. I would suspect that if you didnt have this documented maintenance they could deny any warranty claims. it is always good to have the unit serviced yearly anyway, so no harm done there. I got bit in the *ss by a rip off contractor and ended up doing all of the control work myself... I learned alot about the unit and from all my research it is as good a brand as carrier and all the rest. They are manufactured by ICP (international comfort products... owned by carrier) Now relax... you found a good brand of product... now the hard part is finding a REPUTABLE dealer.... G/L

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast