Thread: Carrier Performance Noise

Post Likes

Carrier Performance Noise

I purchased a Carrier Performance 15 SEER unit in June based on Carrier reliability, SEER rating, and low noise level. I have noticed a loud slamming noise when the compressor shuts off and have had two techs take a look and they both say the noise is normal. I find it hard to believe that Carrier would claim that this unit is ultra quiet when it makes such a loud "normal" noise. Has anyone experienced this noise and is it normal? If so, how could Carrier claimer this is an ultra quiet unit? My neighbor installed an American Standard unit at the same time and I'm thinking I made a huge, costly mistake by going with the Carrier unit, as I can not hear his when it is running or when it shuts off.

Post Likes
    Matched system and not over charged?

Post Likes
    You are likely hearing the clutch engage on the Bristol compressor. Yep, it's a bit clangy.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Post Likes
    Bristol in a Performance A/C? Sounds more like the anti-ratchet device of a scroll though I've never heard one loud.

Post Likes
    Duh.

I saw 15 SEER and reverted to 38YDB.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Post Likes
    My Performance 80 also seems noisy in general. I'm talking about the combustion noise. Granted it's located in my condo hall closet.
    Still, the one it replaced was also a Carrier, 20 years old. It ran quieter.

On start up and run, the new one has those two little jet engine burners.
    Are both supposed to be going? I guess so. I wonder if it's possible it's running in the more powerful stage. If not, I'd hate to hear the tornado sound
    it makes when it kicks into the more powerful stage. I live in So.California so
    I probably would have to have a tech actually manually make it run in that mode to be certain. I suppose it's running the the normal low mode, but it's
    not as quiet as I would have guessed from Carriers description.

Post Likes
    If a solenoid was installed on a long line set, it could be the closing of this valve that you hear... not sure...hard to say without being there...it could be normal...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in