Do I need a new furnace?

My existing setup is:

Lennox G16 Conservator III Furnace
    Lennox HS 18-44 Compressor

The setup is original to the house which was built in 1989. The only problem I have had with the system is that the A/C needed to be charged at one point. The contractor told me he would charge it for me, but he suspected there was a leak in the system and he would not guarantee that the charge lasted more than a month or two. That was 2 1/2 years ago. My house is always comfortable, there is no problem staying cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

I am thinking that it is getting to the age where I need to consider upgrading because at this point if anything does go wrong it is a waste of money to fix when I know it is going to have to be replaced sooner rather than later. Is my thinking correct or should I go with the old "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" attitude?

Could I get another 5 or 10 years out of the system? Even if I could is the savings I would get by upgrading going to help offset the cost over that time period anyway?

I am considering:

Lennox G43 Series
    Lennox G61 Series

and

Lennox 13ACD
    Lennox 13ACX

plus I have other contractors that will likely quote Carrier / American Standard / Goodman (but the price would have to be a whole lot lower for me to even consider not going with the Lennox).

My initial questions are:

1. Should I upgrade or wait?
    2. Should I get the R410 compressor or is R-22 still ok? (the 410 is going to cost me a little more because my lines will need to be cleaned).
    3. Is the variable speed G61 a huge jump over the G43? Can I justify the extra $$ over time? Should I?
    4. My Lennox contractor said he did not have time to do a "full" load calc, but he had some chart that he claims is "always within about 5%" and that I should trust my contractor to properly size the units, is this a no no??
    5. Is #4 enough to make me look at another contractor (that sells Carrier / Goodman / American Standard) that is willing to do a proper load calc?

Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by fenceman View Post

My initial questions are:

1. Should I upgrade or wait?

You got good service from your current system. But now is a good time to upgrade, before you have a failure, and have to make a rush decision.

2. Should I get the R410 compressor or is R-22 still ok? (the 410 is going to cost me a little more because my lines will need to be cleaned).

Either refrigerant is fine to use.

3. Is the variable speed G61 a huge jump over the G43? Can I justify the extra $$ over time? Should I?

It can help keep the humidity down in the summer, and even out room temps in both summer and winter, if you have some rooms that aren't evenly heated or cooled.

4. My Lennox contractor said he did not have time to do a "full" load calc, but he had some chart that he claims is "always within about 5%" and that I should trust my contractor to properly size the units, is this a no no??

You really expect him to have time to do a load calc just to make sure your system is sized right. What, you think your saving money and personal comfort is important. You act like your money is something he should earn.
    (yes, I'm being sarcastic).
    If he doesn't have time to do a load calc for you. Then he won't have time for warranty issues should any arise.
    Most companies that say things like this, base the size of equipment on what you already have. And use a rule of thumb to guess if they can put a smaller unit in or not.

5. Is #4 enough to make me look at another contractor (that sells Carrier / Goodman / American Standard) that is willing to do a proper load calc?

Get more estimates. Screen them over the phone. No load calc, no reason for them to come out, and waste your time.

Thanks for the info.
    You have time, don't rush the decision, or the choice of system.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    You have time, don't rush the decision, or the choice of system.
    Outstanding advice (as always).