Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 28

Thread: new thermostat

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas,NV
    Posts
    749

    new thermostat

    Hey guys, my focus pro thermostat has taken a dump. I am considering changing it out with the vision pro unit, I also see that White Rodgers has a simillar touch screen unit but I dont see anyone talk much about them here.

    I would like to see a few opinions on both units, is it really worth upgrading to?

    We dont have humidity issues here and dont have any add ons, all the thing needs to do is turn the unit off and on. I do however like the touch screen feature.

    Would appreciate any input. Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Chester County PA
    Posts
    426
    The advantage to the Vision Pro 8000 is that it is so versatile. You can do so much with it in the configurations menu and adapt it to many types of units.

    It comes down to personal choice since you said you have a basic system with no Indoor Air Quality products.
    If you don't have anything on your system then you're missing out. No matter where you live there is something out there that will make the air quality in your house better. Whether it's a humidifier, Dehumidifier, UV lites, air filtration setup or whatever. Everything is tailored around the area you live in.

    If you want a touch screen I would stick with the Honeywell.
    If you want something simple and cheap buy a Honeywell round (no touchscreen feature)

    (psst... if you don't have a variable speed blower you're missing out)

    ~smoke~
    "That motor's done, he let the factory smoke charge out!"

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,461
    i have installed both. I prefer the vision pro and have it in my house. I have not had any problems with either but I prefer the HW for its setup makes a little more sense to me. Also do not skimp out on features HW can do it all if you get the loaded model (IAQ). it was not available when i got mine so I just have the one that does humidity. Dry winters here and adding humidity saves me money on my heat bills. I may install a uv light and I have read that it has features for it as well. My utility companies web site has trending set up for usage versus many other variables such as outside average temperature, comparing similar months it has saved me around 15% versus the old WW programmable that we had, I attribute that to multiple occ periods/setpoints and more effective temperature control along with the adaptive recovery features.
    "It's always controls"

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    68,784
    If you don't need any thing special, in teh stat.
    If your focus pro is less then 5 years old. Good chance its under warranty.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas,NV
    Posts
    749
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    If you don't need any thing special, in teh stat.
    If your focus pro is less then 5 years old. Good chance its under warranty.
    Thanks beenthere, the focus pro is still under warranty. I know the vision pro wont benefit me but damn I like the way it looks! Just hard to justify the extra money for it.

    To skwsproul, I would like to have a humidifier but with a roof top unit there is really no where to put one.

    To smoke, no variable speed, just basic 13 seer pack.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,461
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    If you don't need any thing special, in teh stat.
    If your focus pro is less then 5 years old. Good chance its under warranty.
    OOPS I forgot about that.
    "It's always controls"

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,461
    Quote Originally Posted by sammy37 View Post
    Thanks beenthere, the focus pro is still under warranty. I know the vision pro wont benefit me but damn I like the way it looks! Just hard to justify the extra money for it.

    To skwsproul, I would like to have a humidifier but with a roof top unit there is really no where to put one.

    To smoke, no variable speed, just basic 13 seer pack.
    There is always a place for a humidifier. You have duct work dont you.

    It does look cool. A lot of people mistake it for the alarm system (backlite always on)
    "It's always controls"

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas,NV
    Posts
    749
    Quote Originally Posted by skwsproul View Post
    There is always a place for a humidifier. You have duct work dont you.

    It does look cool. A lot of people mistake it for the alarm system (backlite always on)
    I have seen people here hang humidifiers off the side of the elbow on the roof, bad.

    I have heard of people putting them in attics, another bad.

    I thought once of mounting it in the laundry room and ducting it in, at least in there we have a floor drain.

    Central humidifiers here are not common even though we are very dry. Most people including us use a table top p.o.s. that has to be filled twice a day.

    Out of the many focus pros I have bought and installed, mine had to be the only one to take a crap! I have temporarily thrown an old round on the wall until I decide what to do.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,461
    Quote Originally Posted by sammy37 View Post
    I have seen people here hang humidifiers off the side of the elbow on the roof, bad.

    I have heard of people putting them in attics, another bad.

    I thought once of mounting it in the laundry room and ducting it in, at least in there we have a floor drain.

    Central humidifiers here are not common even though we are very dry. Most people including us use a table top p.o.s. that has to be filled twice a day.

    Out of the many focus pros I have bought and installed, mine had to be the only one to take a crap! I have temporarily thrown an old round on the wall until I decide what to do.
    Attic would be bad in winter, thats actually funny. What a hacktacular thing, I just know there is a pic somewhere on here of a dual humidifier/icemaker .

    Feet dont taste so good.
    "It's always controls"

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    68,784
    The Honeywell Tru Steam humidifer can be remote mounted.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas,NV
    Posts
    749
    Well guys, I settled on the Vision pro 8320, I guess I will finally get to see what all the hype is about with these things!

    I like the fact that it can always stay dimly lit in our dark hall, now I dont have to fumble with light switches everytime I want to adjust it.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas,NV
    Posts
    749
    I know if I buy an outdoor sensor that I can use the aux heat lockout feature but according to the setup menu only goes down to 40 degrees, is this true?

    I have a lockout stat up in the unit set for 30 degrees, if the vision pro wont go that low, I will just leave it the way it is. Thanks

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    68,784
    40, is the highest compressor lock out temp.


    Heat pump compressor lockout
    0 No heat pump compressor lockout
    [Other options: 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40°F (-9.5°C to 7°C)]
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event