Thread: Central Air Condition - SEER, Tons, Brands, etc ???

Post Likes

Question Central Air Condition - SEER, Tons, Brands, etc ???

Hi all,

We're planning to install a central air conditioning unit in our home, and we're looking to gather as much information as we can so we are somewhat prepare and know what questions to ask when we start talking to contractors and looking at quotes.

Some background:

Home: Ranch, 1 floor, 1,250 sq
    Current HVAC: None
    Duct Work: None

So, we have a very small 1 floor home WITHOUT any existing duct work.

Some questions, that we hope you assist with.

1 - Duct Work: What should we be looking at or asking for? Solid sheet metal, aluminum, galvanized steel, sizing, etc?

2 - Air Conditioning size? 2 tons, 2.5 tons? I believe the rule of thumb is 600sq a ton? So for our home I supposed a 2 ton unit would be appropriate? I realize that this vary by the homes, region, insulation, etc. Or do I leave up to the contractor to size up the home and recommend the proper size? Or is if safer to go with 2.5 ton just so we have some extra cooling power if needed?

3 - SEER: We're thinking of 14 SEER. Is it worth it to go up to 16 or 18 SEER? I used some online calculators and see that the estimated cost savings per year (for our home/region) is roughly $100 per year going from a 14 to 16 SEER, so is it worth it to pay the additional cost of a 16 SEER unit? I was told that to go up 1 SEER, the price difference is roughly $500 for the unit? Also, does the more efficient SEER unit require higher duct work and install costs?

4 - Brand: The most common Brands offer in our areas seem to be Carrier and Goodman. The cost difference to go from a Goodman to Carrier 2.5 ton is about $800. Does the Carrier unit worth the additional premium? Are there any other brands/units we should inquire about that offer better value?

I realize that this post has a lot of questions, and I greatly appreciate you reading it. Any feedback/comment are MUCH appreciated.

Thanks,

Post Likes

Post Likes
    How is home currently heated? What fuel?

I know this forum does not like to brand bash but Goodman is still a brand built more on price than quality.

You intend to install a ductwork system? Mini splits might be an option. If not, I prefer Carrier Performance/Bryant Preferred series and Trane/AmStd 14 SEER models with min high eff blower or var speed air handler that will get you to 15 SEER rating.

Metal trunk lines with flex runs OK. Min 2 returns for better airflow and comfort properly sized of course. Max insulation. Where will ductwork be run-crawlspace or attic?

Do not oversize condenser!

IMO

Post Likes
    Thanks for the links pecmsg. I will certainly read through them.

One other question I forgot to ask:

What is the difference (or advantage) between a single stage unit versus variable/multi stage?

Post Likes
    More comfort with 2 stage and variable speed condensers, of course with a higher price. I see no need for this in a small home.

IMO

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerdunes View Post
    How is home currently heated? What fuel?

I know this forum does not like to brand bash but Goodman is still a brand built more on price than quality.

You intend to install a ductwork system? Mini splits might be an option. If not, I prefer Carrier Performance/Bryant Preferred series and Trane/AmStd 14 SEER models with min high eff blower or var speed air handker that will get you to 15 SEER rating.

Metal trunk lines with flex runs OK. Min 2 returns for better airflow and comfort properly sized of course. Max insulation. Where will ductwork be run-crawlspace or attic?

Do not oversize condenser!

IMO

Thanks for the reply tigerdunes.

To answer your questions:

* The home currently has baseboard heating (gas), and we intend to keep it that way.

* Yes, the home currently does not have duck work. My guess is the duct work would be install in the attic, lots of space up there. And the air handler/blower would likely be situated the attic also. Insulation around duct work would be required to avoid condensation and cooling lost?

Post Likes
    Any system not installed properly will fail early and cost extra to operate. The peak season is over so you have time to check on the contractor you choose. Ask friends, Family, Neighbors who they recommend.

Check with your local utility for energy audits and rebates. tightening the envelope has a much larger return on investment. Possibly a heat pump.

Consider more insulation in the attic and access and ventilation for the techs, Plywood decking to prevent them from damaging the ceiling below.

Post Likes
    Thanks pecmsg. We are not looking to install immediately, but looking at Spring 2016 for install.

We're researching this now so we have more time to learn, and be prepared.

What sorts of details should we be looking for when handed a contract?

- Specific brands/models ?
    - Heat/cooling loss and load calculations?
    - Number of vents, returning vents?
    - Size of duct?
    - Etc?

Should we be leery of contractor that goes by the standard 600sf rule of thumb to size up the cooling unit, without any specific calculations?

Post Likes
    As you where talking possible going with a higher SEER system, Connecticut has rebates at www.energizect.com residents on top of page, Solutions, Heating Cooling& Hot Water needs to be energy star rated and the minimum SEER is 14.5 the EER 12 for split system A/C until Dec.31 2015. Rebates increases if you use a QIV - Quality Installation & Verification Program ( which they take a class I think for three days, on proper installation and set up of equipment ) No QIV Contractor in the Hartford area that I can see Ellington and East Windsor seem to be the closet. Also any questions can be directed to 1.877.947.3873 . You do not have to use a QIV Contractor to get the standard rebate, any license Contractor in the Hartford area can give the standard rebate.

Post Likes
    Thanks Bazooka,

We did see that, but since we don't be doing the install until the Spring/Summer of 2016, the rebate won't apply. Hopefully, they will have another rebate for 2016.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by thehaviet View Post
    Thanks Bazooka,

We did see that, but since we don't be doing the install until the Spring/Summer of 2016, the rebate won't apply. Hopefully, they will have another rebate for 2016.
    Connecticut had the rebate last year also, so yes quite possible they may have it next year. Also they may have a federal tax credit from the government for energy star rated equipment next year. There was one last year I believe but none this year so that is a possibility also.

Post Likes
    We'll definitely keep an eye out for those rebates in 2016.

I assumed they would require a SEER higher than 14. Not sure if it's more cost effective to pay for the higher SEER to qualify for the rebate or go with a cheaper 14 SEER unit without rebate.

Post Likes
    You where thinking of going 14 SEER, according to your write up , you only need to go .5 higher to qualify at 14.5 . That minimum SEER has been constant in Ct. Again yes you need to crunch numbers from a standard 13-14 to the 14.5

Post Likes
    Yes, I was thinking the standard 14 SEER makes the most sense. It would take me about 10 years to recoup the cost of going to a 16 SEER from energy savings standpoint.

Also, I am curious to know if a 16 SEER or higher would require more expensive installation (duct work, coil, etc.) due to the higher efficiency.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in