Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DocHVAC View Post
    You should have paid the price and got a real HVAC contractor, you did not do your homework and when things went sideways you came crying on here.
    Sure, blame the homeowner because the contractor is incompetent.

Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    I agree with gary_g, when it is the contractor's fault we need to put the blame on the contractor - not on the homeowner victim. - Darrell

Quote Originally Posted by udarrell View Post
    I agree with gary_g, when it is the contractor's fault we need to put the blame on the contractor - not on the homeowner victim. - Darrell

Darrell I agree with you somewhat, but the HO does have some responsibility here to do a "lot of homework"
    before choosing a contractor, we are not all equal right?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Darrell I agree with you somewhat, but the HO does have some responsibility here to do a "lot of homework"
    before choosing a contractor, we are not all equal right?

Right Bill, sometimes one or the other, or both have to share the blame.
    Nothing is ever set in stone when it comes to these type of issues. - Darrell

Quote Originally Posted by udarrell View Post
    or both have to share the blame.- Darrell
    Yes, I will go for that both have to share the blame, you know we have incompetent Doctors, Lawyers, A/C folks etc. and this was why I was saying that the general public needs to do a lot more homework in "today's" times to find good competent folks in all trades. My Doc just retired and I have been to at least 5 Docs some phone book some referrals and have not found one I like yet but I have not given up, I am still looking and doing my home work. Darrell life is not like it used to be back when you and I started out in this business, were you could probably call 99% of the contractors out there and get good ones. It's just a sign of the times and trust me with all this high tech stuff coming out and the installers installing it not fully educated on their product, I see troubling times ahead for a lot of us.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

In fairness to the OP they had a recommendation from a neighbor (which we recommend) the contractor provided good upfront service and was prompt.

Yes the OP made a poor choice (apparently) and should not be chastised too harshly.

Smile They came back!!

After a letter with all my issues, and several phone calls, I finally got the contractor to come out today and replace the installed 80% furnace with the 95% furnace in their quote. They put a new 95% AFUE unit, filter rack (complete with permanent “hog hair” filter), and a PVC vent line.
    Seems okay to me.

If I had paid them more than half, they probably would never have come back.

They didn’t put a local disconnect switch at the compressor, but they didn’t list this in their quote either. I suppose the system will work okay without it.

1. They left a single-stage thermostat, but Goodman’s installation instructions say that “A two-stage thermostat should be used with the GMV91-- furnaces.” Any thoughts here?

2. My house still seems humid... could this be related to the thermostat?

3. They left some paperwork regarding warranty. Only the standard documents that ship with the equipment. Nothing has been registered with the manufacturer. What paperwork will I need if there’s a warranty issue several years from now? I’ll probably not call these guys again….

THANK YOU for your help and advice!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MrCookieBar View Post

They didn’t put a local disconnect switch at the compressor, but they didn’t list this in their quote either. I suppose the system will work okay without it.
    That is required by code........they need to do it or it will not pass inspection.

They did get a permit, right?

The ASX is a 2 stage A/C. So your stat should be 2 stage heat, 2 stage cool.

Did they just jump it to run in second stage all the time.

They probably didn't set up the blower either.

Outside disconnect is a code required device weather they included it in the contract or not.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    Buyer Beware, are you not familliar with this saying.
    GO GREEN HEAT

After a letter with all my issues, and several phone calls, I finally got the contractor to come out today and replace the installed 80% furnace with the 95% furnace in their quote. They put a new 95% AFUE unit, filter rack (complete with permanent “hog hair” filter), and a PVC vent line.
    Seems okay to me.

If I had paid them more than half, they probably would never have come back.

1. They left a single-stage thermostat, but Goodman’s installation instructions say that “A two-stage thermostat should be used with the GMV91-- furnaces.” Any thoughts here?

2. My house still seems humid... could this be related to the thermostat?

3. They left some paperwork regarding warranty. Only the standard documents that ship with the equipment. Nothing has been registered with the manufacturer. What paperwork will I need if there’s a warranty issue several years from now? I’ll probably not call these guys again….

THANK YOU for your help and advice!!!
    I'm glad they came back, next time do your do dellegence.
    GO GREEN HEAT

They did not get a permit. Is there any reason I should call the City?

They did not get a permit. Is there any reason I should call the City?
    Yes

And make sure you register your equipment with Goodman.
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast