Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MrCookieBar View Post

He's also telling me that the existing metal vent pipe doesn't have to be changed to PVC, and a single-stage thermostat is fine for the 95% furnace...

Ahh.........he is wrong as far as the vent pipe goes, a two stage stat is preferred although I think they won't work on some Goodmans, a Goodman expert needs to jump in here!

A hazardous condition will result if the equipment is not properly vented.

Question: Are these coils CAPF4860 (13 SEER) acceptable for a 16SEER compressor? I can't find that info anywhere on the net.
    The CAPF4860 coil is a match for the ASX16060 condenser, but it is rated only with a variable speed blower in the furnace. The current configuration that you have is not rated by the American Refrigeration Institute (ARI).

www.ARIDirectory.org.

Good luck.

Can't be vented with metal chimney or flue pipe.
    The condensate will eat the metal, quickly.

The Goodman 5 ton 16 SEER is a 2 stage A/C, you need a 2 stage stat to get what you paid for.
    And that furnace by its wiring diagram can use a 2 stage heat stat.
    Don't ley him BS you.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

2 Stage Thermostats

I agree with OP about 2 stage stats and the comfort issues with them. Some furnaces with single stage thermostat will work both stages based on time. I don't see the logic. Carrier has tried to tell me, let the system do the staging and no need for 2 stage thermostat. If I paid for 2 stage I would want it. Make sure like OP says PVC venting cannot be vented into chimney with other convetional appliances and if you have water heater or small appliance vented into same chimney make sure he down sizes chimney so condesation does not form.
    Do it right the first time.

Maybe they installed the wrong furnace by mistake.
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

>>Maybe they installed the wrong furnace by mistake.

The guy’s reaction told me that it wasn’t a mistake. He only wanted to talk about me giving him more cash so he could afford to go and buy the correct furnace.
    I expected an apology, or some questions like “how do you know we installed the wrong unit”.

I live in a city. The company told me they didn’t need a city permit. I called the city. They said the company needed both a permit and city license. They don’t have either, of course.
    They do have a state HVAC license.

The guy’s reaction told me that it wasn’t a mistake. He only wanted to talk about me giving him more cash so he could afford to go and buy the correct furnace.
    I expected an apology, or some questions like “how do you know we installed the wrong unit”.

I live in a city. The company told me they didn’t need a city permit. I called the city. They said the company needed both a permit and city license. They don’t have either, of course.
    Sounds like you hired the wrong guy.............looks like trouble for the both of you is just beginning!

You should have paid the price and got a real HVAC contractor, you did not do your homework and when things went sideways you came crying on here. Call this guy tell him you want your money back and take his crap out, there are many contractors on this board in your area.
    GO GREEN HEAT

Good point, that A/C does need a 2 stage cool thermostat. Which begs the next question, why isn't it on a variable speed furnace?????

The H models from Goodman cannot use a 2 stage heat stat. It is only board controlled.

I'm dying to see how this all pans out, sounds to me like this guy really got a major screwing, I also wonder if it indeed was the "Low Bid"

Red face

I really appreciate the info and expert advice from everyone here.

Perhaps you are correct, I should have done a bit more research before I hired this contractor.
    This company was recommended to me by a neighbor. They installed a new AC system for my neighbor a couple years ago. Maybe the company has been sold since then or something.
    I called the company and told them my AC system had stopped working. I didn’t tell them that my 15 year old AC compressor had stopped working - - it was humming loud and seemed to have locked-up. They were there within an hour or so. The tech took his thing(sniffer?) and showed me a freon leak from my compressor. He gave me a quote and told me he could install the system the next day. I was impressed with their fast service, they were recommended by a neighbor, my family was sweating, and theirs was the only quote I received.
    The quote was for almost $Removed Pricing, and I've only paid them $Removed Pricing. They've probably installed more than $Removed Pricing in equipment, so I don't think the contractor will just walk away from this.

You are certainly correct that things go sideways sometimes. It’s all a part of life.
    If this costs me a few thousand bucks more than their quote, I’ll just take them to court, and let a judge decide it. I’ve only had to use the court once before, and it worked out okay for me.
    It’s so simple to sue someone. It only costs a hundred bucks or so, and is much simpler than trying to figure out variable speed HVAC systems. You just get organized, keep things simple, and explain your stuff to the judge.
    I’ve already started the documentation. Based on advice I received here, I send them a list of specific things I wanted corrected, and I documented facts such as they told me there was no city permit required.

Do city building inspectors get involved with this kind of stuff? Seems like they would only be interested in safety & tax issues, and not whether there’s a filter in my AC system, or whether a contractor has installed the correct thermostat.
    If it will help get my system fixed, or if it looks like this is going to court, I’ll get the city inspectors involved. But I won’t call the city just because I’m mad at this contractor.

I’m certain this will take a couple of weeks to work all this out. I’ll keep y’all informed.

Thanks again for all the info and opinions!!
    Last edited by HeyBob; 09-03-2008 at 10:12 PM.

If this costs me a few thousand bucks more than their quote, I’ll just take them to court, and let a judge decide it. I’ve only had to use the court once before, and it worked out okay for me.
    Good thing your not in Texas the contractor can lien your property and after one year if the lien is not resolved, the contractor can start foreclosure Proceedings on your property and force it to be sold. Of course the Mortgage company will be the first lien holder and the contractor will get what's left, how do I know this I am doing this to someone that did not pay us as I type, the Home Owner called me last night literally begging me to give him some more time and I told him I would give him 30 days and that's it, he has owed me this money for a year. My attorney ask me today were we going after attorneys fees also and I said you bet, so what was a $3500.00 tab is now a little over $5000.00.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

the gmh is two stage a 2 stage fau that can not work with a 2 stage stat. the board controls staging in heat, off of timing or logic. that fau is never to be installed with a 2 stage compressor no w2 or y2 terminals on the board. So there is only one cooling speed and 2 heat speeds.

I have seen local contractors wire y2 off the t-stat, but the blower motor never drops down in low stage cooling. It is the cheapest way to go as the gmh is half the cost of the varriable speed true 2 stage heat and cool fau.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast