Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Confused Issues with New 16 SEER AC System Installation

My old Air Conditioning system died. A local HVAC contractor installed a new furnace and 16 SEER 410 AC system. The fan seems to run constantly, but it seems to be cooling the house okay.

I’ve paid them only 50% so far. They’re calling me wanting payment, but I’m telling them they still need to resolve a few issues.

The old unit had a filter in the furnace. They forgot to install a filter in the new system.
    - They told me that they’ll install the filter within the blower compartment of the new furnace. It doesn’t seem right that I’ll have to remove sheet metal screws and disassemble the front of the furnace cabinet to replace the filter. Should I insist on a filter rack (installed outside the blower compartment)?
    - The compressor has some water accumulating/dripping outside. Looks like it's condensation from one of the lines.

It is much more humid in the house. My gauge says it’s about 65% now, versus 45% with the old unit.
    Is there anything the contractor can do about this?

I found the manufacturer’s installation instructions on the internet. The reused the old lines – they are one size smaller than required in the installation instructions. Should I insist that they replace the old lines?

Any other advice would be appreciated…

Brand and model of furnace and A/C helps us answer your questions.
    What size was the old unit. Did they increase size.
    They may not have set up the blower. If its moving too much air, it can increase your humidity.
    I'd want the filter rack on the outside of the furnace.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Frown

>> Brand and model of furnace and A/C helps us answer your questions.
    >> What size was the old unit. Did they increase size.
    >> They may not have set up the blower. If its moving too much air, it can increase your humidity.
    >> I'd want the filter rack on the outside of the furnace.

Here are the model numbers - I read them from the new equipment:
    Compressor: Amana ASX160601
    Coils: Amana CAPF4860
    Furnace: Goodman GMH81155CN

They said the old unit was a five ton unit.

What does “set up the blower mean”?

Also, their quote was for a “95% AFUE furnace”. From the model number it looks like they installed an 80% furnace....

Hard to say what's going on with the RH%. Don't run the fan all the time, leave it on auto for the lowest possible humidity inside.

If you were expectin' a 95%er, you sure didn't get it

Sounds Like You Got Issues

Like othwer post says. But what did they promiss you. I would make them fulfill promisses. Good luck and treat them like you want to be treated. Have them set up blower for 350 cfms per ton for humidity or 400 cfms for more air flow.
    Do it right the first time.

Set up the blower means to set its speed up correctly for the A/C you have.

You have a 2 stage A/C, and a multispeed blower motor.

Call them and tell them you want the 95% VS thats in the contract.

Your humidity is most likely coming from too much air flow in first stage. And they may even have it set too high for second stage.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Hmm

One additional component they installed is a new single stage thermostat. Doesn't seem correct that they would install a single stage thermostat on my multi-stage system (1F86-0471 - White Rodgers Single Stage Thermostat).

Sounds like I have a mess on my hands... At least they don't have all my cash yet.

Thanks so much for your help. At least now I have an idea of what they should fix.

What model #'s are on the contract you signed?

make a list of your issues, address them one by one with your contracter. You should never have to take apart your furnace to change your filter. Thats a retarded excuse for not putting in a filter, its a short cut. Now I'll get tons of people jumping me for that last statement, (don't get me started on the down falls of a filter grille, only in last ditch senarios ). Sounds like you have ligitamite concerns. I hope this was a low bidder. Did you check refrences for your contractor?
    Check and make sure a mech permit was pulled for your project. Insist on it, in some states ( mine included ) a contracter can face fines up to 5000.00 per infraction for not pulling a permit.
    Genius = The guy who can do anything...except make a living!

The GMH has 2 stage heat but cannot use a 2 stage thermostat.

Provide a little background info.
    Location indicating climate conditions, size of home & approximate heat-gain calculation.

Track the runtimes with temp & humidity condition data.
    Ballpark the AIRFLOW CFM, I have a feeling that the 5-ton may be choked down to 3˝-ton or less BTUH delivery performance.

A 65% Relative Humidity is way too high, I am comfortable at 55% RH or lower. Your old unit, by design, had a much colder evaporator coil resulting in increased humidity control.

For 5-ton, I would want 2 large filter racks to keep the velocity through the filters as low as possible along with a much lower pressure drop.

I am guessing that 5-ton is way more than is needed.

I would get more information data on the duct system & the home's BTUH requirements for proper sizing.

It should have been done right in the proper sequence - the first time.
    Only my opinion. - Darrell

The house is in the Atlanta area -- about a 3000sf house built in the 1950's. For an old house, it seems to be insulated well: fiberglass in walls, 16in fiberglass in attic, storm windows... The duct is insulated on the inside with some sort of half inch black felt sheets.

Question: Are these coils CAPF4860 (13 SEER) acceptable for a 16SEER compressor? I can't find that info anywhere on the net.

I called the contractor this morning, and he agreed to pull out the 80% furnace he installed and install a 95% furnace. (He offered me a $500 credit to leave the 80% furnace in.)

He's also telling me that the existing metal vent pipe doesn't have to be changed to PVC, and a single-stage thermostat is fine for the 95% furnace...
    I just plan to read the manufacturers documentation for this stuff and make certain he follows their requirements. Fortunately Goodman-Amana's requirements seem to be well documented...

>>What model #'s are on the contract you signed?

No models are listed on contract -- just hand-written specifications such as "16 SEER" and "95% AFUE" and "10 year warranty".

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast