GE WeatherTron ?

I currently have an original GE weathertron heatpump system in my home,built in 1981. It finally gave out after 27 faithful years...compressor locked up, looks like it's time for a replacement.

Question is...Before I get quotes for a new system, I want to determine what I have in here right now... Model# is BWB718A100B0 ... I can find zero info on the web about these units... but i did find info somewhere that said there is a number in the model# that will be divsable by 12 that determines tonnage. This seems to hold true on all the different brands that I was able to find info on... so that being the case,it looks like this would be a 1.5ton unit? Also the heat strip is a 10.5KW... does this seem a little large for a 1.5ton unit, or does this help make up for the lower btu output of the compressor? ...I live in central OHIO

Thanks...

GE

Its a 1.5 ton. 10 kw heater pretty standard. A complete heat loss study would tell you exactly how much strip heat you need. Those old GE Weathertrons were the best, most reliable heat pumps ever made!
    Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it.

10KW is normal for a 1.5 ton here in PA.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Thanks... Yeah, I wish Ge still made these... the last date that was on the service sticker was in 1983.... don't know if it actually went that long,but who knows?

There's a few neighbors(similar homes) that have had replacements, different companies, and they all seem to have installed 2.5 to 3ton units, I know I don't want to oversize & that little 1.5 ton never struggled. Come to think of it... my friends house seems a little "sticky" in there now with his new 2.5ton Carrier.
    A manual J is probably out of the question... none of the others got one & this is gonna be kinda low-budget... Might be living here another 2years ...tops

Quote Originally Posted by krammer View Post
    A manual J is probably out of the question... none of the others got one & this is gonna be kinda low-budget... Might be living here another 2years ...tops
    You can do a load calc yourself. Look at the top of the page. The cost of the program might save you money down the road.

Im willing to bet the compressor is just fine, I have never seen a failed GE Climatuff compressor!!

Seen a lot condemned due to failed capacitors though, they have a strange wiring configuration and it can fool a technician not familiar with it into thinking the compressor is bad.