Controlling 2nd stage of XP16 compressor?

I recently had an XP16 installed, but don't think that the 2nd stage of the compressor is ever coming on. I know for a fact that my stat is 1 stage cool and 2 stage head. The installer swears that after a certain time period of being on then the 2nd stage auto engages, is that true? I've stood outside next to it for 20 minutes and never heard any changes. Is there anything other than a stat that'll control the 2nd compressor stage (both cool and heat)?

My test light tells me that my stat kicks my XP19 into second stage heat after a few minutes, even when it's about 60* outside degrees and it's just maintaining temp. Doesn't seem right to me.

I didn't know anybody has a 2 stage HP that times to second stage compressor capacity.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

You need a 2 stage cool stat. Your installer's swearing isn't doing any good

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    You need a 2 stage cool stat. Your installer's swearing isn't doing any good

ditto!

Jumpered

Thanks for the reassurance guys. I'm not an expert, but I don't have my head all the way up my ass.

If I jumper y1 and y2 together, will my unit provide full cooling capacity all the time? I don't think that I want to do it, mostly just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by vtbuster View Post
    If I jumper y1 and y2 together, will my unit provide full cooling capacity all the time? I don't think that I want to do it, mostly just curious.

that question does not deserve an answer!

It comes jumpered from the factory, but the installer took the jumper off. I'll take that as a yes...?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    I didn't know anybody has a 2 stage HP that times to second stage compressor capacity.
    How should it work? I have a Vision Pro 8321 stat.

Ask you installing company to send out their top tech and go through the system, point by point, with you. Have him/her show you how the systems is suppose to perform.

Don't keep messing with things cause that is an expensive piece of metal and you can damage it very easily.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

The stat should be controlling what stage it is in.

Your stat is capable of controlling 3 stages of heat, 2 stages of cooling, and cool to dehumidify.

The thermostat knows the temp in the house. It should determine amount of cooling needed.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Thanks for all the advice. I'm drafting up a long letter to write to the owner of the company. Hopefully all of my problems will get resolved soon.