No TXV on Lennox XP16? damage?

I bought a new house and had the builder (subcontractor) swap out the standard unit for a XP16. When he put it in he said that they swapped the threading type in the air handler and he needed a different TXV, which he didn't have. He left the old metering system in (looked like just an inline piece with a small hole in it). Am I at risk of damaging the unit by running it withouth the TXV? Same installer also knew nothing about controlling the 2nd stage of the compressor. I'll open up a new thread about that.

If you have the fixed oriface it came with I wouldn't worry. I dug up a thread about metering valves. There is a lot of good info from people who have many many years of experience.
    http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=102874

Hope they use nitrogen if they do any brazing,
    sdeery

sorry, double post

You need a TXV.
    You could get a liquid flood back and have compressor damage in first stage.

Stay on your builder/contractor to get that TXV installed.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

beenthere is right you need the txv so keep asking for it

what i am confised about is the coil its self

is this a matched lennox coil for this condenser or is it an igsisting coil being made to work with this unit

if matching the txv should be straight foward connect and go

if igsisting then you are going down a bad road here and will be having a lot of problems and warrenty issues
    this also wont be the equipments fault

You have to have a TXV, no question about it. You could and might have done damage to the compressor.

It's matched with a Lennox condenser/air handler. It didn't come as a surprise when I found the overflow pan full today.... Looks like I've also got a clogged condensate drain line too, if I'm lucky. Brand new construction isn't what it used to be. Thanks again to all who have contributed.

The XP-16 should only be mated to a VS indoor unit as it is two stage. Lennox specifies this in the instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by Tjune54 View Post
    The XP-16 should only be mated to a VS indoor unit as it is two stage. Lennox specifies this in the instructions.
    BINGO,,,,, That matched VS air handler will have the correct TXV already installed. If it's a H/P it will need a few minor wire changes made inside the indoor unit as well.
    If you try to fail, and succeed.
    Which have you done ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tjune54 View Post
    Where does it state that? In looking at Lennox's website, under the details for the xp-16, the asterisk with the footnote that states that the v/s a/h must be used is on the line that shows the xp-16 can utilize the Humiditrol system.

I have the XP-16 hooked up to the CBX27UH.

That would make perfect sense. They said that there was no room for the TXV inside the air handler, which is why they couldn't install the TXV they brought.
    I compared my air handler (CB26UH-030-R 230) to the list in the manual that came with the heat pump (3 tons) and my air handler isn't anywhere on there. Things are all starting to make sense for me, it doesn't look like they got any part of this install right.

Thanks for the help and advice.