Shared chimney in condo issues

We live in a condo unit (ca 1200 sqft; gas; copper baseboard); these were built as apartments in the mid-1950's, and so each pair of units shares a chimney.

So, in looking to replace, we're finding there are issues with this shared chimney. Has any of you worked through a similar situation?

One plumber consulted said a building inspection would be needed, 1st we've heard this; will have to call town hall on T. Why should this need inspection?

One contractor for EK sys 2000 suggests a 5" stainless liner. But would that limit our neighbor's choices, i.e., if they got a system with a liner? By condo rules, we'd be responsible for any trouble the liner would cause. Would lining the whole chimney (10 or 11") be better? (The current unit next door is Utica, MGB1252H, from early '90's; currentlly they share a t-joint at the bottom.)

(Side venting has problems with important windows & vapor plume, as discussed in another thread.)

Any wisdom about chimney sharing? Thanks.

You would end up paying for a liner for your neighbor.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Hmm Chimney Liner

Check and see if you have room to put your own 5" liner in the chimney. It is good idea to have it inspected. This is for your own protection.
    Blue Fox

Neighborliness

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    You would end up paying for a liner for your neighbor.
    Yes, I'd figured that out. Depending on the amount & other factors, it may be worth it. E.g., we have nice neighbors (there's slow turnover here, so we do have neighbors), or also we could work out a deal should they come to make use of the liner, i.e., should they upgrade. It's not a deal-breaker.

Are there issues of venting different powered machines into the bottom? Or other issues that may be involved?

I think you'll find code requires that once you put a liner in a chimney. No appliance can be vented in that chimney without a liner.
    So you will have to have both liners installed at the same time.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?