Thread: correct CFM setting for 4T heatpump

Post Likes

correct CFM setting for 4T heatpump

what should be the correct CFM setting for 2 stage 4 Ton heat pump coupled with a Air handler with 20KW heating elements ?

The blower is currently set to 2000 CFM for cooling and 2000 CFM for heating, but I find it a bit noisy as it is. It starts slow but quickly goes to maximum speed.

The possible range is 1200, 1600, 1800 or 2000 CFM with a possible tweak of +10% or -15%.

Post Likes
    1600 Cfm
    Matt 7:12 The Golden Rule
    "Do for others what you would like them to do for you. This summary of all is taught in the law and the prophets.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta313 View Post
    what should be the correct CFM setting for 2 stage 4 Ton heat pump coupled with a Air handler with 20KW heating elements ?

The blower is currently set to 2000 CFM for cooling and 2000 CFM for heating, but I find it a bit noisy as it is. It starts slow but quickly goes to maximum speed.

The possible range is 1200, 1600, 1800 or 2000 CFM with a possible tweak of +10% or -15%.
    average is 400/ton or 1600, your location matters, in humid climates you may go as low as 320/ ton for increased latent removal, dry climates as high as 420/ ton for higher sensible heat removal.
    NOW.......
    GET OFF THE COMPUTER,
    GET BACK TO WORK, AND
    MAKE SOME MONEY!!!

Post Likes
    Where are yiu located and what is the model number of your indoor and outdoor unit

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rponson View Post
    Where are yiu located and what is the model number of your indoor and outdoor unit
    Location is Montreal, Canada. Very Hot and humid in the summer and very cold in the winter

Amana ASZ18 18SEER/48000btu/2-stage/HSPF-9.5/R410-a/Heat Pump
    Amana MBE2000 + 20kw/variable speed/electric furnace

Post Likes
    Heat Pumps require a 450 CFM per Ton for proper air flow at .50wc. You have to know your ESP before you have a reason to adjust the CFM per Ton dip switching. The measured ESP and converting from the fan curve from the air handler is the real deal. Until then, your just blowing in the wind with a guess.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JBM1000 View Post
    Heat Pumps require a 450 CFM per Ton for proper air flow at .50wc. You have to know your ESP before you have a reason to adjust the CFM per Ton dip switching. The measured ESP and converting from the fan curve from the air handler is the real deal. Until then, your just blowing in the wind with a guess.
    but if I don't have the tools to measure the Static Pressure, is there another way to measure it? or to figure out if I have enough CFM to achieve top efficiency ?

otherwise I will have to go with rules of thumbs. Someone suggested 1600 CFM for cooling and 1800 for heating

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta313 View Post
    otherwise I will have to go with rules of thumbs. Someone suggested 1600 CFM for cooling and 1800 for heating
    4 tons x 400 CFM per ton = 1600 CFM in cooling.
    4 tons x 450 CFM per ton = 1800 CFM in heating.

Both are rules of thumb.

Many brands use a blower slow down feature to increase discharge air temp in heating mode.

Your installation is new.
    Let the tech make the adjustments.
    And then ask him to list what everything is set for.
    After adjusting blower speed, he should recheck the charge.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in