Thread: Where can i buy a 10 seer heat pump ?

Post Likes

Where can i buy a 10 seer heat pump ?

The ducts and air handler in my 1950 1700 sq ft house where replaced 5 years ago (Trane 10 Seer twe 036 3 ton piston ) but the previous owner opted to not replace the 20 year old Synder General 3 ton heat pump.

The condenser would not kick on so i had a service call from one of the most reputable in my home town, the same people who installed the air handler, come out and clean the contactor and it working fine but i know i need to replace contactor real soon or risk another night i swealtering heat.

My question is should i just replace contactor and milk whats left in the life of the compressor, replace the whole sytem with a 13 seer or try to finda 10 seer heat pump unit out there somewhere and hire an installer just for that.

The only 10 seer 3 ton my installer could find anywhere so far is a Drayton 3600 btu 36400 heat btu from Grainger with a one year warranty at a very low price

Even if this thing only last 5 years i would be happy since i plan on moving i a couple of years and the cost benefit compared to Pricing Removed on a complete new 13 seer seems sensible. My air handler is installed in attic so this adds to the cost of complete system replacement.

Please review rules re" pricing in posts.
    Last edited by HeyBob; 08-31-2008 at 05:55 PM.

Post Likes
    Why would they not replace the contactors? They'll go out again and you'll pay another service call. If the air handler is only 5 years old, there is a good chance that it will match up to a new heat pump. I would not call back that company, not replacing the contactors is dumb. I would find somebody of a reasonable amount of intelligence to see if the fan coil can be matched up, it may not be possible, but I sure wouldn't rely on the other company to be able to investigate.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    Why would they not replace the contactors? They'll go out again and you'll pay another service call. If the air handler is only 5 years old, there is a good chance that it will match up to a new heat pump. I would not call back that company, not replacing the contactors is dumb. I would find somebody of a reasonable amount of intelligence to see if the fan coil can be matched up, it may not be possible, but I sure wouldn't rely on the other company to be able to investigate.

I didn't make myself clear.The contractor that looked at my unit sent a tech out on moments notice since they had a crew nearby and but he didn't have a contacter in his truck that would fit but said they would come back next day with part.The system is working fine but i just postponed spending the bucks on contactor if i was going to replace the system now anyway.If he had the part i would have had it done then.Thats where my dilema started

Post Likes
    Trane may have a HP outdoor unit that matches up to that air handler.

If not, replace the whole thing.
    Home warranty companies don't give warranties to mismatched equipment. So mismatching as you suggest could hurt the value of your home when you sell it.

You know why the previous home owner didn't replace the outdoor unit. He was selling it in a few years.

Post Likes
    We'd put a A-S/Trane 13 SEER heat pump on the TWE-C series if we added an expansion valve kit. When the XR13/Heritage 13 came out, the new air handlers weren't out and they were rated with that AH if the TXV kit were added.

Post Likes
    A trane XR13 heap pump will match up with that air handler, just need to install a TXV kit at the indoor unit.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    A trane XR13 heap pump will match up with that air handler, just need to install a TXV kit at the indoor unit.
    thank you, i wish the contractor that came on the service call for the contactor and did the estimate would have told me that it would have saved me a bunch of agravation.

This website is a great place for the consumer to get pointed in the right direction and avoid getting ripped.

Post Likes
    Coleman
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in