Condensation from AC not draining into ground

Hello,
    The condensation from my main AC drip pipe is not draining away from the unit. As a result, I been constantly finding it backing up into the pipe.

As a temporary solution, you can see from the picture that I dug out a hole below the pipe to allow the condensation to collect below the pipe while it slowly drains into the North Carolina clay.

What would someone recommend as a permanent fix? I am thinking of putting in a french drain - go down about 1 foot, out about 4 feet, fill it with gravel and then cover the gravel backup with grass (so you don't see it). I hope this will allow the water to drain away from the unit through the gravel.

Is this the right approach? Does anybody have any other ideas?

Thanks for your advice.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by bakerm5 View Post
    Hello,
    The condensation from my main AC drip pipe is not draining away from the unit. As a result, I been constantly finding it backing up into the pipe.

As a temporary solution, you can see from the picture that I dug out a hole below the pipe to allow the condensation to collect below the pipe while it slowly drains into the North Carolina clay.

What would someone recommend as a permanent fix? I am thinking of putting in a french drain - go down about 1 foot, out about 4 feet, fill it with gravel and then cover the gravel backup with grass (so you don't see it). I hope this will allow the water to drain away from the unit through the gravel.

Is this the right approach? Does anybody have any other ideas?

Thanks for your advice.
    If its coming straight out of the house just put a couling or 90 on it and pipe it to where you want it to go.

Just dont put a trap on it if there already is one.
    Owner
    All-American Air Conditioning
    Vero Beach, Florida

Since you're in NC, I'm assuming you've got a gaspack or similar, with the cooling unit entirely outdoors. In situations like that, I've seen two common solution. One is to have a condensate pump installed and connect the outlet through a perforated pipe or hose, such that the water is spread out over a greater area, creating a 'mini' irrigation system, if you will.

The second solution is as you alread mentioned, digging a hole to the depth that satisfies you, fill it with some crushed stone and let the condensate drain into that. You only need it big enough to contain the condensate that exceeds the drainage rate for a limited period of time, say during the day when hopefully the area cools a little at night and the drain can take away the excess.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Hmm Condensate Line

Make sure the line is open and a trap is installed on the line and has some grade on the line so it will drain. Then you can pipe it off as you wish. Into a dry well or just pipe it away from the house.
    Blue Fox

Thanks guys. I ended up doing the french drain and increasing the grade. A lot of water came out when did that, so it obviously wasn't at a good enough grade prior.

We got 1.8 inches of rain the night after I did this, and there was no problem with puddling the next morning.

Thanks for the help here.