Post Likes

Advice needed! Carrier Infinity Air Purifier Advice

Any insight is greatly appreciated. I am building a new home and am installing two Carrier air conditioning units. Because we are a family with allergies, I have done extensive research on whole house air purifiers. While I was all set to install the Carrier Infinity air purifier, now I am apprehensive because of the small amount of ozone emitted. I have read ALL there is to read online. And frankly, it's get very confusing. I am also concerned about the potential smell emitted.

I have also looked into other systems that are not electrostatic, and my HVAC company tells me the purifier has to be Carrier brand.

Any advice would be MUCH appreciated.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SRSBean View Post
    Any insight is greatly appreciated. I am building a new home and am installing two Carrier air conditioning units. Because we are a family with allergies, I have done extensive research on whole house air purifiers. While I was all set to install the Carrier Infinity air purifier, now I am apprehensive because of the small amount of ozone emitted. I have read ALL there is to read online. And frankly, it's get very confusing. I am also concerned about the potential smell emitted.

I have also looked into other systems that are not electrostatic, and my HVAC company tells me the purifier has to be Carrier brand.

If it is the GAPA purifier it is technically considered "Ozone Free" and the small amount of ozone generated is below the minimum...Any purifier that uses some sort of electronics will generate some.....That being said, It is just as important to ensure your home is not infiltrating from undesirable locations, make sure you have a blower door test done on your home especially if allergies are a critical point

Post Likes
    My friend is allergic and was facing the same problem with the suggestion of amtek air professionals she opted the conditioning unit. And to be on safer side, she keeps on servicing the unit at regular intervals.

Post Likes
    You can check out the list of Best air purifiers for allergies here.
    Top of the line, the Blueair Pro L Hepasilent® Air Purifier is the Top Recommended air purifier

Post Likes
    I have this filter in my home and little ozone smell ( when air handler is in low speed cooling or heating ), works good and is same technology as used in hospitals ( so i have been told ) and filter life is good but... My biggest problem is the 75 dollar apiece filters ( canadian) on a side note if anyone has any cheaper options for fikters for them i would appreciate it !

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SRSBean View Post

I'm not sure who told you that this infinity air purifier generates O3 but you should see what they promote (most likely anither brand) Carrier uses the same technology that hospitals use for air purification and I don't beleive anything that comes out of these guys unless there are facts backing it up. I have one in my own house and it is by far the best purifier money can buy.

Post Likes
    We tested the Carrier Infinity several years ago. It did not emit a large amount of ozone.

However, replacement filters are expensive. At the end of the day this product does not perform better in indoor allergen reduction than a MERV 11 filter. You will achieve the same results by asking for a 4" filter box and using a MERV 11 filter at about 20% of the cost.

Post Likes

Confused

Quote Originally Posted by breathe easy View Post
    We tested the Carrier Infinity several years ago. It did not emit a large amount of ozone.

However, replacement filters are expensive. At the end of the day this product does not perform better in indoor allergen reduction than a MERV 11 filter. You will achieve the same results by asking for a 4" filter box and using a MERV 11 filter at about 20% of the cost.
    LOL. So you are claiming that a MERV15 filter does not perform better than a MERV11?????
    Carrier infinity IAQ technology is the same technology that hospitals use.

Also, in terms of cost, Carrier cartridge needs to be replaced once a year but a MERV11 has to be changed at least twice a year, so do the math.

Post Likes
    I am not sure where you are getting your information that the Carrier Infinity uses the same technology that hospitals use. Hospitals required to use certain levels of filtration. This article will give you the full details:

http://www.texairfilters.com/proper-...re-facilities/

The Carrier Infinity (or anything like it) is not to be found in these requirements. If I am going to go for an operation, I am going to make sure that the operating room has HEPA filtration.

The MERV 15 claimed by the Carrier Infinity is also questionable. At the end of the day the Infinity is an Electronic Air Cleaner (using a filter). Electronic Air Cleaners cannot be tested using the ASHRAE 52.2 test that determines MERV. The reason is that to be a complete ASHRAE 52.2 test the filter is loaded with dust between steps. The dust contains carbon black which neutralizes the electronic charge. I would like to see the Carrier test claiming MERV 15. In all probability it is an "initial" test before loading. This is not a valid test.

This is important for another reason. As EAC's get dirty they lose their effectiveness. The dirt masks the electronic charge. So what is a very effective filter to start could be a fairly ineffective filter after 6 months. Going a full year would be highly questionable.

Another thing to consider is that the difference in MERV is only part of the equation. Indoor particle counts (ie. exposure to allergens) are a function of a number of factors including filter efficiency, activity in the space, particle settling, outdoor air infiltration and HVAC system run-time. In my experience when you have activity in a household you will not see much of a difference in particle counts between a MERV 11 and a MERV 15. On the other hand, you will see a difference at night when there is no activity. But at night the particle counts are relatively low anyway.

So I would stay with my recommendation. Four-inch MERV 11 filter should do just fine (Cost $16). Carrier Infinity (Cost over $100) not a good idea.

Post Likes
    If is more difficult to achieve higher levels than MERV 13 of filtration in a Whole House system, but you will still probably benefit from the higher MERV 15 filters and the equipment that if uses. You may want to consider standalone HEPA filters in the rooms where the allergy suffers sleep, because these areas are usually smaller and units like the Whirlpool AP510 can achieve the exchange rate necessary to keep the air clear of Allergens. You can get the Bryant Carrier Filters for a reasonable price at any online Filters store like Atomic Filters.