Thread: AC won't turn on, troubleshooting?

Post Likes

AC won't turn on, troubleshooting?

Its a 15 year old Trane Heat Pump, worked fine until I had the bright idea to install a digital thermostat. Bought the Hunter 44860, turned off the breakers for the HVAC, installed the Hunter, turned the breakers back on and nothing would turn on. Reinstalled the old thermostat and still no AC. I have a service call in with a local HVAC company, but while I'm waiting what can I check?

I know the transformer can get fried in cases like this...how can I check that? I have a nice multimeter and I'm pretty handy with it if need be.

What all can I check while I'm waiting on the professionals to get here? (could be as late as Tuesday...American Home Shield )

Thanks everyone
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Post Likes
    Not really allowed to offer advice to home owners.
    However I wonder if you can command the fan on for the air handler ? There should be an auto and a manual setting.

sdeery

Post Likes

Hmm yo

hey sdery diy is not allowed..................tell him to hire a reputbale hvac contractor

Post Likes

wont turn on weird

call a tech or give more info .We dont go to ur job with this ?

Post Likes

commercial customer

Had a Customer wanting me to order his parts on his account from internet.internet parts guy shipped wrong timer for freezer and customer wanted me to buy it back from him to sell to later customer ? Not in business to help people save nickles in order to lose dollars.

Post Likes
    Could be a couple things. Including some that have nothing to do with changing the thermostat.

While the tech is there.
    Buy a good thermostat from him. Hunters makes a great ceiling fan, but crappy thermostats.
    They tend not to last.

Questions and discussions pertaining to HVAC for the home. No pricing, no DIY, please read Site Rules Thank you.

Post Likes
    The only good thing about Hunter thermostats is when they pay me to take them off the wall and buy a real stat from me. Depending on what thermostat you have and I am in no way familiar or care to be with Hunter, there are different configurations depending on what type of system you have. The only advice I will give to you is to READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. I do on thermostats and I do it for a living to make sure I didn't miss anything. As far as waiting til Tuesday, if you pay somebody and avoid that crappy AHS, they will be out before then.

Post Likes

perfect example of why an HVAC contractor should be hired when making modifications to your HVAC system

you probably burned up some parts, you should stop the guess work to keep your damages to a minimum!

Post Likes
    I assume when you burn the bacon for breakfast, you call the local restaurant and ask them how to properly cook the bacon? Or the eggs? Or the fish? C'mon. When you buy any product that is normally installed by a professional, it's called Do It Yourself. Once you require the expertise of the pro, it's no longer DIY. So, then you must pay the full price of both the part PLUS the installation. Net savings, zero. Cost to complete the project, far more than if you had called the pro in the first place. MORAL: If you're not 100% sure you can DIY, then don't even attempt it. Dental drills are cheap. Do you go to a dentist or repair your own cavities yourself?
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by reliance View Post
    call a tech or give more info .We dont go to ur job with this ?
    What info do you need?

You don't go to my job with what? You're working here?

I really don't understand your guys refusal to offer even the slightest idea of what might be wrong. You all are telling me to call a tech, but I've already done so.

Even if you can't give me troubleshooting advice you can at least give me some possibilities so I know what to expect when the tech does get here.

Post Likes
    You should expect a curtious service tech.
    And a bill for some parts, and to pay the tech COD if its because youo installed that thermostat, because home warranty companies don't cover this kind of repair.

If its unrelated to the thermostat. The tech will tell you.

We can't see or check your system from hear.

Post Likes

Thumbs down

This is not a DIY board.

Take it elsewhere.

You've been give the answers that we will provide.

Thread closed.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in