Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Media filter suggestions for Carrier Infinity

I am installing a Carrier Infinity 4 ton zoned system and mostly new ductwork in an older home and would appreciate some media filter suggestions. I do not want anything mechanical or ozone producing.

I do want something with a high MERV rating that does not drop the static pressure beyond acceptable limits and where the media filters are reasonable cost. I would like something better than the Carrier EZ-Flex if compatible with this system. My installer recommended Air Bear but they seem to not have an especially high MERV rating.

Is the Lennox HC16, which I have heard great things about here, a suitable choice to go with this unit and would not drop air flow too much?

Dynamic, AprilAire, others?

Btw, what is the filter size usually for the Carrier 4 ton Infinity?

Thanks! This forum has been quite helpful...

When the duct system is designed/redesigned the filter pressure drop of whatever filter you choose just has to be accounted for. In our area the 4 ton Infinty often needs the filter area of two filters when using the higher Merv media.

Take a gander at the Ultravation PCO product offering.

High MERV, reasonable cost?
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    High MERV, reasonable cost?

those 2 phrases just don't go together......

lennox hc-16 is a good filter but not cheap.

I don't equate reasonable and cheap. You get what you pay for so if not cheap that is fine as long as it is good value.

That said, is there a good high MERV media filter, such as the Lennox HC16, that makes sense to use with a 4 ton Carrier Infinity unit? Or does anything past MERV 10 present too much air flow restriction and loss of static pressure?

Thanks!
    Last edited by codeslinger; 08-29-2008 at 04:36 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by adrianf View Post
    Take a gander at the Ultravation PCO product offering.
    Thanks but I don't think I want to go the UV route due to ongoing cost or problems. Besides basic annual or biannual service, I just want to replace the media filter once per year. Don't have any particular issue with pollutants, just a couple of overly friendly airedales...

When the duct system is designed/redesigned the filter pressure drop of whatever filter you choose just has to be accounted for. In our area the 4 ton Infinity often needs the filter area of two filters when using the higher Merv media.
    Adrian, how do design the ductwork such that installing a high MERV filter uses twice [or whatever value] the filter area? All but one zone of my ductwork will be new. All new return ducts. 4 zones total. Thanks.

He uses 2 filters.
    Meaning you have to pay for 2 HC-16's.
    Contractor locator map

Seems would also be a major issue with ducting them in parallel rather than just putting one under the air handler. I would not have the room for that so guess I'm sol on that arrangement.

Quote Originally Posted by codeslinger View Post
    Seems would also be a major issue with ducting them in parallel rather than just putting one under the air handler. I would not have the room for that so guess I'm sol on that arrangement.
    All of this is determined by the available static; with a good efficient low static retrun duct system one filter could be fine. This is what your contractor is suppose to do.

There's no pride of ownership with any of my postings. Air conditioning contractors are often times like financial advisors; line a 100 of them up and you'll get 100 different recommendations.

But on this site you do get some folks that consisiantly give advice that a reasonable person should consider qualified. Albeit over the internet.

But on this site you do get some folks that consistently give advice that a reasonable person should consider qualified.
    You do a good job.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    You do a good job.
    Ok so where do I send the money?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast