Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trane RTAA217

Question Trane RTAA217

I have Trane's chiller RTAA217. I don't understand how motor's winding are connected? Is this two independent wye windings? What is about wye points, are there physically the same? What is the point of this connection? Does anybody have some scheme of motor's winding? Anybody help will be appreciated.

Do you mean the start and run windings?
    Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Yes, I mean the start and run windings. I have connection diagram, when I see two independent contactors, but I' m interested how it looks inside of motor? What is the point of this connection?

Oh boy this could be interesting ????? Luce . its called wye delta or star delta or reduced inrush starter. it does excactly that reduces the inrush amps to get the motor running . What I cant understand is why techs get themselves into situations where they are working on equipment that is clearly beyond their knowledge or ability . I suggest you take a training course or at least pick up the IOM and read it and understand it before you work on this stuff . High voltage/wye delta starters and inexperienced techs do not mix . Find another tech to go to the site with you and help you and hopefully you wont hurt or even worse kill someone ???? I know this may sound harsh but sometimes the truth just has to be said !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are you even a service tech????

Quote Originally Posted by graham View Post
    Oh boy this could be interesting ????? Luce . its called wye delta or star delta or reduced inrush starter. it does excactly that reduces the inrush amps to get the motor running . What I cant understand is why techs get themselves into situations where they are working on equipment that is clearly beyond their knowledge or ability . I suggest you take a training course or at least pick up the IOM and read it and understand it before you work on this stuff . High voltage/wye delta starters and inexperienced techs do not mix . Find another tech to go to the site with you and help you and hopefully you wont hurt or even worse kill someone ???? I know this may sound harsh but sometimes the truth just has to be said !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are you even a service tech????
    Geeze dude,get a grip. Their only asking to learn. Isn't that why most of us are on here for? Crazy Canucks anyhow..

Maxpower . Maybe you should take the time to read all the posts from Luce about the RTAA217, then maybe you will understand why I made the comments I did . It seems everytime the unit farts Luce is running to his computer for help. sometimes you just have to stand back and use the grey matter. Constantly asking for someone else to fix your problem teaches you nothing. And what about the customer ,they are no dummies they know when the tech shows up if he knows what he is doing or talking about . Dont get me wrong I will help anyone who shows the apptitude and interest required to be a good tech but there are times when you can tell if they are going to be good techs or just parts changers .

graham, you are chiller 32 in disguise aren't you?!?!?!? i knew you were around here 32!

just kidding! i do know what you mean though...sometimes people get goofy. the part that i can not figure out is...2 contactors? in an across the line start there is only 1 contactor per compressor. in wye-delta start, there are 4 contactors per compressor (well, 3 big ones and 1 little one). and i think that this unit would have 3 compressors in it which would make it an across the line start only with 3 total contactors for the compressors...maybe it is a special 2 compressor unit. i see that you can order a "Special" compressor starter type, but part winding? i have not seen a unit that uses a "Special" designator so maybe...

i would like to help, but i really do not know what you have there...a full model number may help out.

good luck.

good luck.
    How to make the perfect "Half-Hitch" knot or any other boyscout knot in 3 easy steps...

1. Remove your meter leads from the meter and very carefully return them to their storage case or bag.
    2. Wait 2 seconds
    3. Very carefully remove your meter leads from their storage place and enjoy your new knot!

OK, guys, I really don't angry anybody. My english isn't very well and I maybe don't explain exactly what I want to know. My compressor isn't wye-delta, I don't have three contactors. Wye/delta is very standard in Europe for decrease start current, but start with two contactors is unusually. I ask is it part winding or what? We have short circuit and only motor(stator) is serviced. Ohm per windings U1.V1 and W1 is about 0,4ohm and U2, V2 and W2 is also 0,4ohm after service. Service office is asked me what kind of windings is this, do I have some documentation about only motor stator. I don't have documentation about that in Trane's service book and I ask for help. That is all. Thanks for understanding. Graham, please don't open my mail if irritation. I attached picture when you can see that after comp.card A0-1 I have two contactors for comp.motor.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Luce View Post
    OK, guys, I really don't angry anybody. My english isn't very well and I maybe don't explain exactly what I want to know. My compressor isn't wye-delta, I don't have three contactors. Wye/delta is very standard in Europe for decrease start current, but start with two contactors is unusually. I ask is it part winding or what? We have short circuit and only motor(stator) is serviced. Ohm per windings U1.V1 and W1 is about 0,4ohm and U2, V2 and W2 is also 0,4ohm after service. Service office is asked me what kind of windings is this, do I have some documentation about only motor stator. I don't have documentation about that in Trane's service book and I ask for help. That is all. Thanks for understanding. Graham, please don't open my mail if irritation. I attached picture when you can see that after comp.card A0-1 I have two contactors for comp.motor.
    upon zooming in on your picture...the words: "compressor part winding start" are visible...soooo i guess it is a part-winding start. if it is...then there are basically 2, electrically separate, wye-connected motors in each compressor.

good luck.
    How to make the perfect "Half-Hitch" knot or any other boyscout knot in 3 easy steps...

1. Remove your meter leads from the meter and very carefully return them to their storage case or bag.
    2. Wait 2 seconds
    3. Very carefully remove your meter leads from their storage place and enjoy your new knot!

Quote Originally Posted by Luce View Post
    Funny, I didn't know RTAA were available with PWS. Learn something new here all the time.

Please take this in the way it is sincerely meant.
    We all, at times are thrown into situations that are above and beyond our experience. It is then that we use ANY and all resources to get an understanding of the equipment and hopefully solve the problem, thereby bringing our abilities to a higher level. This Forum is one of my most valuable resources to accomplish that.
    I have not reviewed the poster's previous questions. But if someone felt about me the way you feel about him, I think a PM would be in order to discuss your sincere feelings and concerns about ability and safety privately.
    Just my humble 2 cents.
    jogas

Thanks guys!
    We have four Trane's chiller with the same start (one is RTAA217 and three are RTAA324). The others Trane's chiller are wye/delta start (1xRTAC 300, 3xRTAC350 and 1xRTAC400).

I'm to lazy to look and see right now but is it possible Trane has a production part - start RTAA only made in Europe? Like the 134a Centravacs?
    Work smarter not harder.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast