Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ultrasonic Leak Detectors

Hey guys I keep haveing this debate with myself about buying a ultrasonic leak detector I have only used my H-10 for years and I was wondering if anyone has one and how the really work on low presure machines because Iam tired of hooking up a hot water machine.

UltraSonic Leak dectection...

I've tried Amprobe's stuff and it works really well with gas heat exchangers if you can put the transmitter in the flue or heat exchanger. Looking for leaks without the very 'loud' transmitter can be 'iffy'. On refrig. systems, there's quite often no place to put the transmitter in the chiller. Just using the receiver may or may not pick up the leaks.

Good luck,

D.

I have used it on r11 and r113 machines, what is nice about it I have had leaks I picked up while in a vacuum but it did not leak when I pressurized the machine. There is time I will use halide leak detector. There is a use for each type.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ON-CALL View Post
    Hey guys I keep haveing this debate with myself about buying a ultrasonic leak detector I have only used my H-10 for years and I was wondering if anyone has one and how the really work on low presure machines because Iam tired of hooking up a hot water machine.
    If you don't have the patience or skill to find a leak with a good electronic(tried and true h-10) all the gadgets in the world won't help. If you can't find a leak on low pressure because there is no oil spot maybe you should just call your supervisor and buy him lunch to come find your leak. Besides, if your working on low pressure machines then your making BIG money, hook up the hot water machine, fire up the laptop and check your stocks....EASY MONEY!

ultrasonic is the way to go in the right enviroment, no fans motors or belts running. Its the first leak detector out of my truck on most calls.

Ultrasonic Leak Detectors

Have used them on an idle chiller, with another CVHE running right next to it. Found leaks (small), pressurized machine and found the exact same leaks. I think they all have their place, but it made a believer out of me. When purge activity indicates their may be a problem, sometimes you might not be able to shut down a system long enough to pressurize.
    Another good tool in the tool box!
    b-man

I rather not have to hook up a hot water machine to a machine with 113 in it. Just to get 5 psi I have to heat it to over 130 degrees.

Not sure where everyone is and the legislation that will apply, but low pressure chillers are disappearing rapidly here.
    2011 they'll be all gone, that's only 2 years from this Christmas.
    Save your bucks for ultrasonic, if you only want it for Low Pressure stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Carrene #2 View Post
    Not sure where everyone is and the legislation that will apply, but low pressure chillers are disappearing rapidly here.
    2011 they'll be all gone, that's only 2 years from this Christmas.
    Save your bucks for ultrasonic, if you only want it for Low Pressure stuff.
    Hey carrene were are you cause you need to call Trane in Lacross and tell them to stop makeing thier CVH'S with 123 and all thousands of carriers that are still out thier.And when they running right you can't beat a low presure machine than a high presure onein my book

Man, I don't know what I was thinking.
    You're right, it's just the R11 ones.
    Totally forgot about Trane and 123.

Quote Originally Posted by Carrene #2 View Post
    but low pressure chillers are disappearing rapidly here.
    still gots alots!.

Quote Originally Posted by ON-CALL View Post
    I purchased the Amprobe ultra sonic detector in summer of 2007 and have been amazed a number of times at it's performance on leak detection.

1. I was able to find leaks deep in the middle of a walk in cooler evaporator that 2 other technicians could not find.

2. I was able to find a leak on the back side of a DX evaporator coil where getting a sniffer detector or a visual on an a UV would of been impossible to access or view however the ultra sonic was faintly picking up the leak even from the fron side of the coil.

3. On a condensing unit I was able to pick up a leak spewing in the opposite direction with good clarity even though the literature with the ultra sonic described it's capabilities best as picking up directional sounds.Plus getting a sniffer detector to work outside is sometimes difficult with the breeze and sometimes wind renders sniffer detectors as useless outside.

4. Many astounding feats of finding leaks outside and on RTU'S where sniffer detectors would not work.

Some friends of mine say that on systems with a lot of oil in them and some chiller mechanics say that the ultra sonic does not work so well for them apparently because the ultrasonic frequency is altered due to the oil in some systems.

All and all im very happy with the Amprobe Ultra Sonic Detector.

I love my ultra sonic But lose the headphones that come with and get yourself some really good noise canceling ones ( like dj's use)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast