Model: 38YR0483 / Serial: 2493E00743

Model: 38YR0483 / Serial: 2493E00743

I would like opinions about the following, thanks in advance. I don't do this trade for awhile now (my knees are falling) A Carrier Heat Pump - 15 years in good maintenance - was not cooling, everything were working. I suggested the Technician, after 2 hours on and off cooling the compressor with water to check (I don't know what for two hours) that there, in the air handler unit was a TXV. He proceeded to remove the TXV, in doing so, because he only has over sized adjustable wrench, he had to pulled everything out for the wrenches to fit (he didn't have the proper wrenches) and in doing so he damaged the tubing in two places (small/capillary tubing to the evaporator) then he went out for about 2 hours to shop for a Dryer. He returned, installed the dryer and sweat the small openings in the tubing. The unit took awhile for cooling but when we left it was working.
    Questions: (1) If the original TXV came with the equipment, was a good decision to remove it? (2) Shouldn't the technician have in the truck a dryer and not take 2 hours looking for? (3) Shouldn't the technician have the proper tools? (4) Shouldn't the technician charge 6 hours for his misdiagnosis? (5) For his butchered work, when in a non delicate way pulled the tubing out? (6) Will this work survive? We already paid, it is not the money, but I recommend this company a lot. I know the owner (he's a Carrier dealer) and never had problem with, but he grows and use now employees, that in my opinion, are practicing with customers money without supervision. I appreciate any inputs. Thanks

I would call the owner and voice your concerns. It could be that he dosn't know what his techs are and are not doing.

Sounds like this unit is a heat pump and he removed the outside TXV completely?
    Its a good Life!

Sounds like this unit is a heat pump and he removed the outside TXV completely?[/QUOTE]

Thanks m kilgore, yes it is a heat pump. He removed the TXV that was located inside the house at the air hardler and installed a dryer.

Your heat pump was designed to have that TXV fr its metering devise. What did he put in for a metering devise now. I would call the owner and see what is going on.
    Its a good Life!

Thanks m kilgore, yes it is a heat pump. He removed the TXV that was located inside the house at the air hardler and installed a dryer.[/QUOTE]

did he replace the txv with new one?
    or did he install a fixed metering device?

one of these should have been done. If not you have major problem.

I would call owner regardless... I would want to know if I had this going on in my company.
    I'm lost, I've gone to look for myself.

Thanks chlosum,

They replaced the TXV with a piston and a house to be able to place the device back in coil. Carrier parts counter said that this unit didn't come from factory with a TXV but a regular piston type #88. ????

Good, at least you have a metering device.

The tech you had out is by far not a professional.

I read articles in trade magazines all the time and have read many articles about not only having the correct tools for the job but also that it was important to be using quality name brand tools.

The basics are this, a customer truly has no idea of your knowledge or experience level. these two things will be judged by how you present yourself to the customer and how you perform your job, and also how well prepared you are. Sounds like the tech you had falls short.
    I'm lost, I've gone to look for myself.

Thank again chlosum, the owner sent me a large explanation how professional that tech is. Well, he was working with a cigarette lighter to light the area around the air handler (the space is not illuminated) I went and brought a flash light. After he finished, he removed the debris including the grommet at the metal panel - where the tubing from the metering devise enter the evaporator - and I asked him to look for and reinstalled it because the vibration was causing the tubing rubbing against the metal plate, he tried, but he already bended the opening with a pliers to enlarge the opening to retrieve the original TXV components! ... I left frustrated. The owner is like a friend, I recommend him a lot. Every body make mistakes, specially when you are growing a business with unprofessional techs, but please, be honest and recognize the errors with "certain people". I know for a fact that if you absorb the monetary cost of all your techs errors with customers you are going to bankrupt sooner or later. Rarely, in this field, the customer know what is going on ... but when a customer know what is going on! ... please solve the problem, make that customer happy, absorb the cost. An unsatisfied customer will tell at least 10 people and so on. Sorry for the long post. Thank to everyone involved in this post. Happy labor day!.