Thread: Glass ceiling?

Glass ceiling?

I'm looking to get some advice from any business owners or managers. Little background. I have 10 and a half years experience in residential/light commercial. All with the same company. I have certifications and continuing education credits out the a**. I train almost every new tech we hire. All my customers love me and request me personally. And im one of the most consistently productive Sr. techs we have. Our company only has about 12 techs. We are not a big Co.

Yet I still cant seem to get any kind of consideration for a promotion.(ie. service mgr). Even though the current supervisor doesn't seem to be doing a good job.

Is there any advice you guys may have as to what I can do or not do to get the boss to notice? For the past two years I've been asking my boss for more responsibility and I feel like I am just getting the runaround. Ever opportunity he gives me to show what I can do, he seems to step in and take control. I don't want to vent my frustrations. I really want some advice. Should I do more or should I just realize i have reached the glass ceiling?

I been in this biz for 25 years,.. ain't no promotions usually and you would not want the service manager job anyway. They are way underpaid for what they do. No glass ceiling or conspiracy, just that a tech has no other role really [although i have served as a company 'trainer' with no title or compensation]. Managers are good at managing, great techs may not manage well, there is no room for promotions really,.. even if you are a great salesman you probably have more value to the company as a tech. Kinda sucks, but I have experience with similar size companies and that is all you have to aspire to, top-notch tech respected within the company for that.

Things could be different with bigger outfits, I personally do not have knowledge about that. You can always start your own business, that is what I did for lack of a better idea.

If you are a great tech making the company lots of money in the field the last thing they are going to want to do is take a top producer and stick him in the office. Its not cost effective to the business. Also just a thought does anyone at your woek actually know you would like to move up cause it probably won't just happen you gotta make it happen

Hmm

Is promotion what you really want? What about moving into commercial service,chillers or BAS? There are allot of roads to take in this business that will increase your pay but the question is what are you really after.

Is it the tittle or is it money...go into engineering if you hit wall.

As mentioned before look into BAS or VFDs if you can become competent with those then it opens up all sorts of doors with medical and government facilities. Steady work, benefits and generally some room for advancement.

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by canesfanforlife View Post
    I'm looking to get some advice from any business owners or managers. Little background. I have 10 and a half years experience in residential/light commercial. All with the same company. I have certifications and continuing education credits out the a**. I train almost every new tech we hire. All my customers love me and request me personally. And im one of the most consistently productive Sr. techs we have. Our company only has about 12 techs. We are not a big Co.

Yet I still cant seem to get any kind of consideration for a promotion.(ie. service mgr). Even though the current supervisor doesn't seem to be doing a good job.

Is there any advice you guys may have as to what I can do or not do to get the boss to notice? For the past two years I've been asking my boss for more responsibility and I feel like I am just getting the runaround. Ever opportunity he gives me to show what I can do, he seems to step in and take control. I don't want to vent my frustrations. I really want some advice. Should I do more or should I just realize i have reached the glass ceiling?

My recommendation is pose this question to your employer. It could be they have plans for you involving "grooming". It could also be that it may be time for you to move on. Either way, talk to the boss.
    The views and opinions posted here are my own. They do not reflect the corporate policies of my employer and will most likely get me fired at some point.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

There is much talk of the coming labor shortage. The current trend is to try to keep what you have in the field, as paper pushers are way easier to come by than a seasoned tech. If you are what you say, there are a few options, you can stay in your current position, you can look for a job elsewhere possibly in the commercial industrial market, you can start you own business, or you can get a managers job elsewhere. In any case, this is america, and you do have a choice (just dont tell your wife I said that). To me, I want to know why you want to be an office boy? many who leave the field really shouldnt for various reasons. Service manager will be salaried position, and work more hours for most likely less pay. You will be locked in to one place most of the time(techs usually hate that), you will deal with everyone' problems. Think long and hard before you get what you really do not want. Just remeber " the grass in this mirror appears greener than it actually is" . In many cases the grass in the office is tan.